The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever seen or hunted a (Crippled or 3 Legged Dog) ??? LOOKING FOR HOPE!

Years ago, one of my pups sire FC/AFC Fountain Valley Thunderball lost his front leg after geting run over. I saw him destroy a Master hunt test in Madison Wisconsin. He ws a machine. A little ugly getting in and out of boat, but handled really big lilly pads with no issue.
    I really don't think he ever knew he was three legged.

A friend of mine has a yellow lab. She was hit by a car at a young age. They removed the leg at the top joint. I have seen her run, doesnt seem to slow her down. He hunts the refuges is CA, and one of the big reservoirs. He says she swims
    ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by ripline View Post
    Years ago, one of my pups sire FC/AFC Fountain Valley Thunderball lost his front leg after geting run over. I saw him destroy a Master hunt test in Madison Wisconsin. He ws a machine. A little ugly getting in and out of boat, but handled really big lilly pads with no issue.
    I really don't think he ever knew he was three legged.
    I believe that FC/AFC Fountain Valley Thunderball was also Mike Lardy's first FC.

Marty Kress had a little chocolate girl that ran several MN and was absolutely amazing. Joe O'Brein ran a tri-pod in at least one and maybe more MN- all heart (the whole 45#'s of her).

Pretty sure that 4th wheel is just a factory installed spare regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Austin, a fine boned choco. male lost his left rear wheel at 5 to cancer. He ran many HT's and FT's on his 3 legs. He even ran a Canadian National Am. for 8 series on 3 wheels. What an inspiration he was. Not a day goes by that I don't miss him and think of him. He crossed the bridge when he was 7 1/2.

Dogs are not vain, a lost leg never slowed Austin down. Don't give up. No never.

Marty Kress

One of my favorite memories was judging a 3 legged yellow lab--that little girl lost her leg to a snake bite. I had to keep wiping my eyes as she ran the test. What an inspiring little dog.

There was a youtube video posted in one of those previous threads about 3 legged dogs that showed a 3 legged dog running a hunt test. It was pretty inspirational!

I judged a chessie that had lost one of her front legs last year at an AKC Junior Hunt test. I believe she lost it due to cancer. The swims were long and she did it a little slower than the other dogs but her desire and style were great. Pup got straight up 10's from me.
    Keep the shotgun barrel warm & the dog's feet wet. www.stricklandskennels.com

A friend in MS has a 3 legged male that was hit by a car when he was 1.5YO. The dog had gone through started, and received his SHR. Due to the accident he had his leg amputated. I knew the dog before and after, and I don’t think it slowed him a bit. He also received his HR title about 1.5 years later. He is a great hunting dog as well.
    Keep your head up and work through it together.
    Dustin

Guys I really appreciate all the post, and motivation !!! It has been hard for both of us! You can just look in her eyes and tell she's ready to go ! I just wish I could some how make her understand whats going on with her ! She seems to not even care she has a cast on, which is in all likleyhood why we are in the shape she is in now, she is just so active, even in her crate she is always playing, and I am sure is what played a major part in the screw starting to back out. I am hopeful that the bone stays in place with the cast on, BUT it's hard to stay postitive when it seems the bad news just keeps coming ! Praying for some good news a week from now ! Just hoping things turn around for us both !