The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help wife is freaking out

Default help wife is freaking out

She bought a cow bone as a treat for our 2.5 yo BLM. She was thinking he couldnt chew it, he wore it out. She is freaking that the splinters will hurt him. I told her hes fine and will be. Thoughts?

I would not let him chew anything that splinters.
    Ray K

SHR Princess Lillian Vl
    SHR Deke of Sunnyburke SH
    HRCH UH Ray's Cotton Pickin' Jake MH, 500 Pt Club, 02-11
    SHR Callie May JH, 98-09
    SR Gus "The Wonder Dog" JH, 91-01

unfortunately, she *could* be right.
    Might want to give him a couple of peanut butter sandwiches. No need for jelly.
    We used to give them, on my vet's suggestion, to my older dog who had a strange addiction to eating glass (light bulbs, christmas ornaments, etc) when he was young.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Watch for blood in the stool. I found blood in my dog's stool and made a appointment with the Vet and she wanted a stool sample. Well the one I had they found a piece of bone that looked like a arrow head, which cut him up. He has not had a bone since.

Cow bones splinter? If so, then not good.

Where I live people dump deer parts. I had one of my dogs get a deer bone in kennel, later he stopped eating and drinking. Tooking him to the vet, they took xrays to find a bone had went thru his stomach, part of his lung and was rubbing on his heart. Had to take to the university or missouri. They were able to save him. $7000 dollars later.

No I would never let one of my dogs have bones.

The only cow bone I will give is a raw femur
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

he seems fine...he only got about half through it and she took it away...didnt look like it was splintered...crossing my fingers

To ease your mind just watch and if he's eating and pooping he's fine. If he stops doing either it's off to the vet.

As others have said feed him some bread.

It's usually cooked bones that splinter. I don't but many give raw bones. Nylabones are pretty safe in my opinion. Just be sure and get a large one and throw it away as the dog chews it to smaller.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Worst bone experience ever.....

Had my team over to the house for a BBQ. Must have had about 8-10 racks of ribs. I had parboiled the ribs before BBQ. So boiled bones splinter easier. Needless to say there was no sleeping that night, We thought she was bit by a snake or something (lived in Texas at the time) her entire tail and rear had almost doubled in size from the trauma..... About $400 and 12-16 bones later all was well. What a scare....never feed bones and I do everything to keep them from the dogs now.