The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting a pup

Default getting a pup

First off I am new to to this forum and new to having a pup. I should state that we had dogs as kids growing up in the country but this will be our first pup that we will raise and train. After having devoted the last 16 years putting two kids though hockey here in Minnesota I am down to one left and five more years. Loved every minute of it and continue too. With two in college I have determined that I have the time to get a black lab pup. It will be a male. I have been reading as many post as I can on here and countless internet postings. I will crate train from day one. Have crate and a dedicated bedroom, puppy proofed. I am planning on feeding Nutrisource large breed puppy food as that is what they are being fed now. I believe i have all the supplies needed. tons of support and excitement for the family. We will be training for hunting as my 13 year old daughter has great interest in hunting. She and I will also be looking forward to hunt testing as well. Any suggestion between Hillmann or Mertens sound beginning. Is it ok to use both or should I pick one. Any advise or suggestion on any aspect of new puppy parenting welcomed. Daughter and I will be joining a local retriever training club as well. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris,

Welcome to RTF! I am not sure which club you will be joining but the Southern Minnesota Hunting Retriever Association is right near you and one of the places we train is near Waterville, MN. There are a bunch of very smart and friendly retriever people who would love to help you out. I will be living just south of Austin Mn but travel to Blooming Prairie to train on Old Oaks Kennel grounds when Possible they have some nice water.

Also another option for a club would be the northern flight hunt test club, I am not as familiar with them but they put on some nice tests. Go to entryexpress.net and look for hunt test dates there should be one in about 2 weeks if I am not mistaken in waseca, MN and there might be one near the cities as well.

As for Mertens or Hillman they are both very good, but I am personally a fan of Hillman as he shows you how to emphasize sit with out restraining, then move up to the Lardy TRT program.

and most of all have fun, where are you getting the pup from?
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Mike Peterson chasingthegold kennels out of Montgomery mn. His female Paige and Aero right on target. Very excited. Did you gave pups through Berkleyrecently

Chris welcome to a great forum to learn and laugh.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

From one hockey dad to another..... welcome to the RTF!!!!!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Hi Chris,
    I think Nutrasource is an excellent food choice, plus it's a Minnesota company! I know if anybody else out there has read my posts they probably think I'm a health nut crazy when it's comes to my dogs, not me just my dogs.

With that being said, make sure your new puppy has got the usual health guarantees.
    I have seen the heartbreak of poor hips, elbows, eyes in dogs that people have invested a lot of time, money and training. Also, check EIC, and CNM status
    i know even with all being checked out you can still run into these problems, Mother Nature is fickle thing.
    But why not eliminate as much as possible and stack the cards in your favor!
    Ok, enjoy the new snow cuz we haven't had enough here this year, and most of all your new puppy!

Which retriever club are you loookin at joining? I suggest the lake country retriever club. Mike Peterson is involved with that club.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunssmoke3217 View Post
    Which retriever club are you loookin at joining? I suggest the lake country retriever club. Mike Peterson is involved with that club.
    +1

Being from Lakeville area, you couldn't go wrong (I am a current LCRC member). My YLM is only 12 weeks old and I have learned a ton from just watching training nights and attending events. Talk with Mike and he will be able to give you the information you need to join.

In regards to training information, I would suggest the Smartworks (Evan Graham) puppy program. I watched the Mertens puppy DVD and wasn't really a fan, so I stuck with Evan's. Hillman is also highly recommended.

Getting an Aero pup, I'm envious! Better plan on HT and FT, with the caliber of pup you'll be getting.
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

My daughter and I will be joining Lake Country Retriever Club. Very excited to start this. I know Mike is very involved with the club and am looking forward to working with him and the other members.