The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck injury

Default Neck injury

My wife and I left went to London for a vacation. When we returned my 3 year old lab was acting very strange. I could tell he was in pain but couldnt put my finger on where. Then the next day he was fine so we did some a 10 minute training session for fun and he seemed perfectly fine. Then he was fine a whole week. Then yesterday I noticed he was in pain again so I took him to the vet. When the vet was looking him over he showed pain when turning his head left. Also, we noticed he will not look left. He gave me some previcox and tramadol for pain and inflammation he thinks its muscular. I spoke to a friend who is a vet and he said it is common and he calls it a pinched nerve. I'm baffled I don't know how it happened. I do know when we got home he seemed fine for the first minute then I think the excitement with the other dogs and them rough housing is when it happened. Im hoping he heals and he doesnt have to live like this for the rest of his life. Any thoughts?

Sorry about your dog. Mine suffered a neck injury it was so bad he would scream in pain when he rolled on his side. After seeing a neurologist and an orthopedic vet (both thought a pinched nerve) x rays showed nothing he was given tramadol, rimadyl and told to just give it time. It took about 9 months before he was back to normal.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 04-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I had a youngster w/a neck injury ~8 yrs ago. Xrays showed nothing. Rest and rimadyl did nothing. She became more and more miserable over the next couple months. I got into a good holistic vet who gave her a chiropractic adjustment (was out from the skull back to the shoulders badly), worked wonders for a few days, but by then she was so subluxated she couldn't hold an adjustment. Prolotherapy was used to shrink wrap up the muscles a bit, and she's been fantastic ever since. She's 9.5 now and still tears around w/ her 2 yo granddaughter like nothing ever happened.

I would also see if you have a good holistic vet in your area - I use one locally on occasion and she does great things with chiropractic, acupuncture, cold laser etc.
    As can people, dogs can pull a muscle or tweak something - they just can't explain it to us!

Where are you located in Florida?
    Tom Dorroh

You might check his ears, an inner ear infection could cause this sort've goes and come pain, you might not be able to see it if it's way down in there. Had a dog one time suffer from chronic ear infections, so bad she wouldn't move her head or jaws. Just something to check
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    You might check his ears, an inner ear infection could cause this sort've goes and come pain, you might not be able to see it if it's way down in there. Had a dog one time suffer from chronic ear infections, so bad she wouldn't move her head or jaws. Just something to check

If the pain continues to come and go, I would also ask your vet to run a full tick panel for tick-borne disease just to rule it out.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Where are you located in Florida?
    Im in Stuart, FL on the east coast.

Thanks for all the info! GLad to hear alot of dogs got back to normal. I hate to see a career ending injury to my hunting partner.

Quote Originally Posted by eazy89 View Post
    Im in Stuart, FL on the east coast.
    Take him to Jim Wonell. I have one I had to retire from HT a few years ago because of a neck injury. Took a good year for him to get over it. Still was never the same but has hunted the last three years and could run a test, but I would not a want to train him hard enough.
    Good luck.

my avatar is Tank and was taken in Arkansas about a year and a half after he injured himself.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 04-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke