RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

(GMPR,HRCH, MH) Pointing Lab stud dogs with the best "off" switch?

17K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  Salmonbum 
#1 ·
Wondering what pointing lab stud dogs our there (GMPR/HRCH/MH,...) have the best off switch at home? Especially those that are dark yellow/fox red and tend to throw the darker yellow/fox red with the excellent temperment to their pups?

#2 ·
Linda Torgerson's 4xGMPR HRCH Rooster Smasher, MH/QAA, one of the nicest dogs I've seen in person, very laid back, good looking, well-built. Seems to be throwing a nice pup.

#7 · (Edited)
Rooster would be the one IMO when it comes to that color thing you mentioned....Give Linda a call.
Other GMPRS with good off switches and finished titles in other venues ?
Most that I have seen and I have seen more than a few, all three in my sig line are what most labs are as house dogs, whether they point or not makes no diff. Some were more of a handful as pups for sure. Rooster was very well as a house dog the couple times he spent a piece of his time at my place...6 mths old for a month, and when he got started on cold blinds for about a month, so young both visits....
Kenai has greatness in him, his owner tells me he was a handful for the first year, but I have never seen anything but a gentleman and more the times I have spent around him, one of the best for sure, and doing very well as a stud.
You want black the two in my avatar do the hunting thing more than game thing (way more ) only so much gas money available etc. we prefer the real thing.
Other fine Blacks that throw point would be Joe Dickersons "JD" (Jack Daniels;) ) he is a 4XGMPR HRCH MH
Also Tim Doanes Ely would be a top one to look at, he does throw point but did not play the APLA game, but I can vouch for his point, one of the best.

#8 ·
What Paco said x2. Gator throws good dogs from what I can tell. I like that Rooster dog too. Also, JD and Ely are littermates. JD is in my Avatar pic and has a great on/off switch and is yellow factored. Don't think you could go wrong with any of the dogs Paco listed.

#9 · (Edited)
Ive got 2 dogs out of Hunters Point Kennel and they are the best people I have worked with. Take a look at this breeding with Rooster and Cherry, she is Fox red and is a true sweetheart. Give Justin a call I promise you would be happy with this breeding as this looks like this looks exactly what your in search of. http://pointing-lab.com/4xgmpr-hrch-rooster-mh-qaa-x-cherry/

#10 ·
Some of my Rooster pups. Oldest are about 6 months now, so can't tell too much yet, other than everyone seems happy so far.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thank you Frank for mentioning Ely. He does not have a pointing title but he sure does point. He is however a GRHRCH a Master National Hall of Fame member and is QAA. He is awesome in the house and has done very well reproducing himself. I have trained over 20 Ely pups and would take a truck full of them from now until I retire, would make life real easy for me. He goes to Manitoba every year and thats when I really get to see just how special he really is.
I have seen some of the other dogs Frank mentioned as well and believe hes right on.

Good luck with your search.

#14 ·
Jax,

You might consider Cashman's Super Trooper. He is a yellow GMPR, MH. I have a bitch named Tess who is out of Trooper. She is a wonderful dog in the field and as a companion. She's very level headed and easy to live with.

I also agree with those who mentioned Rooster Smasher. I recently bred Tess to Rooster and am expecting some great looking pups with talent and good temperaments. Both parents also have a full compliment of health clearances.

Swack

#17 ·
As if you needed more verification that Ely and Rooster are great retrievers and producers.....;) Used them both, both throw really nice pups. I had the last breeding that Rooster did before Torg's Labs purchased him, have since wished many times that Minnesota weren't so far away! Really liked what I saw in the pups. Ely is a super nice dog as well, very compact and can't get too much better than him in the house.

#18 · (Edited)
" Thank you Frank for mentioning Ely." You are welcome Tim.
" He does not have a pointing title but he sure does point." Yes he does, and the only reason he doesn't have that title is you chose not to go that game, if you had, he would be covering more hunt test titles than just about any ( ;-) big deal, he's a great hunting dog, the title that counts most to me).

PS; I have a friends Rooster sired one year old here right now, a fine off switch and great structure, winning personality, taking my time with the training cuz I don't want her to go home anytime soon, real nice pup...Rooster/ZZ :cool:

#21 ·
Some of it is on the owners/trainers, yes, but some dogs are just plain higher (to very oversimplify) than others regardless, and some dogs "throw" that trait too, and vice versa. It isn't a venue debate either, has nothing to do with point or HT or FT.

#23 ·
You can believe whatever you want. My experience, across a pretty good slice of Labradors, is that there are some I simply will not touch nor breed to because they are too high of dog regardless of training and how they are raised and I've seen it passed on, so it isn't worth the risk, to me. Not all dogs can be trained to settle at home or are amateur-trainer friendly, there are some that are simply too high to handle well or without a great deal of work and experience and I do believe some are born that way.

#24 ·
http://rattlingridgelabs.com/Upcoming_Litters11_12.html

Jet is a great example of a dog that is a great perfaormer but mellow in the house. The only bad side is he takes up most of the couch. Kim's correct some dogs just don't turn off, while some don't turn on. Jet does both. He is currently training for All Age stakes and is QAA with a win and multiple placements in the Q. I've hunted over this boy and he has a nice stylish point. His sire was MPR Rattlinridge's Bronco Bill MH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkH0oR0KCEc

#27 ·
Contact Linda, Rooster's owner, litters aren't supposed to be advertised on the main forum. She'll know what Rooster's got coming up and will get you the litter owner's info. Sent you a pm with her contact info.

#33 ·
Again, contact his owner, Chris Smith, he's planning a repeat of the breeding that produced Scooter. Will know of Scooter pups, both upcoming and who has some, and talk to you about Scooter. Contact the people who handle/train Scooter, like Rusty Haglund, Mark Edwards, Bill Petrovish, who's been running him in AA stakes recently. Those are your best sources, the ones who've seen the dog in person.

#32 ·
More yellow puppies with a yellow sire. ;-)

#36 ·

4xGMPR HRCH Rooster Smasher, MH, QAA on left
Erik The Red, MH (Son of 2004 NAFC) on right
Gabby Dabby Do (12 week old daughter of 4xGMPR HRCH Arrowpoint Kenai Midnight Sun MH)
Stud dogs playing and babysitting puppies together. Can't get nicer males than this.

Rooster and Gabby's grandfather, Duke, owned by Mark Chinavare. Rooster waterfowl hunts as well as he points pheasants and grouse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.