The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (GMPR,HRCH, MH) Pointing Lab stud dogs with the best "off" switch?

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    The little bit I know about pointing labs there's been some real good ones noted. But isn't the 'On' 'Off' switch kinda of a misnomer and more dependent on rearing, raising, and rules? Kinda like Labs that don't point?
    Some of it is on the owners/trainers, yes, but some dogs are just plain higher (to very oversimplify) than others regardless, and some dogs "throw" that trait too, and vice versa. It isn't a venue debate either, has nothing to do with point or HT or FT.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Some of it is on the owners/trainers, yes, but some dogs are just plain higher (to very oversimplify) than others regardless, and some dogs "throw" that trait too, and vice versa. It isn't a venue debate either, has nothing to do with point or HT or FT.
    Give and take. I really don't believe biddable, hard driving dogs that give all they can in the field....switch off at home. But they are trained and acclimated to the appropriate behavior given the environment. That seems a more accurate depiction of culminating a strong hunting dog/family member than focusing on the probability it has genetic on/off switch.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

You can believe whatever you want. My experience, across a pretty good slice of Labradors, is that there are some I simply will not touch nor breed to because they are too high of dog regardless of training and how they are raised and I've seen it passed on, so it isn't worth the risk, to me. Not all dogs can be trained to settle at home or are amateur-trainer friendly, there are some that are simply too high to handle well or without a great deal of work and experience and I do believe some are born that way.

http://rattlingridgelabs.com/Upcoming_Litters11_12.html

Jet is a great example of a dog that is a great perfaormer but mellow in the house. The only bad side is he takes up most of the couch. Kim's correct some dogs just don't turn off, while some don't turn on. Jet does both. He is currently training for All Age stakes and is QAA with a win and multiple placements in the Q. I've hunted over this boy and he has a nice stylish point. His sire was MPR Rattlinridge's Bronco Bill MH.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkH0oR0KCEc

Ok. I am looking for Rooster Smasher breedings that would be ready or due this summer if possible. Looking
    for a fox red/dark yellow female...what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Give and take. I really don't believe biddable, hard driving dogs that give all they can in the field....switch off at home. But they are trained and acclimated to the appropriate behavior given the environment. That seems a more accurate depiction of culminating a strong hunting dog/family member than focusing on the probability it has genetic on/off switch.
    You are more than welcome to come and visit my hard driving, biddable dogs that have an off switch. You will find that the house is still standing. And, then you can go and visit the puppy owners homes. and you will see that their houses are also still standing.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Ok. I am looking for Rooster Smasher breedings that would be ready or due this summer if possible. Looking
    for a fox red/dark yellow female...what is out there.
    Contact Linda, Rooster's owner, litters aren't supposed to be advertised on the main forum. She'll know what Rooster's got coming up and will get you the litter owner's info. Sent you a pm with her contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    You are more than welcome to come and visit my hard driving, biddable dogs that have an off switch. You will find that the house is still standing. And, then you can go and visit the puppy owners homes. and you will see that their houses are also still standing.
    Perhaps my reply wasn't clear. It's not that I don't believe hard driving, biddable dogs can't be welcomed house fellows it's that I believe many 'new' pup owners buy into the myth it's actually an on/off switch genetically inherent. It's fostered by a host of breeder ad's stating: "firebreather in the field and lover bunny at home". When was the last breeder ad that actually stated the sire or dam were a PIA around the house?

I am only suggesting that drive is drive and training is training. Good canine citizens are raised not born.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Wondering what pointing lab stud dogs our there (GMPR/HRCH/MH,...) have the best off switch at home? Especially those that are dark yellow/fox red and tend to throw the darker yellow/fox red with the excellent temperment to their pups?
    I know he is a young dog but you may want to take a look at "Scooter"..

What can anybody tell me about GMPR Scooter. Anyone have pups out of him. Anyone know how he is around the house...