The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: whats after baseball drill

Default whats after baseball drill

Been working on the baseball drill for casting and I'm at 100 yards each direction. We have been doing this distance for a week now so we have it down pretty good. The question is what would i do next to further the drills with casting to make his casting better and more solid or am I done with hand signals?
    dns guide service
    Avery Outdoors
    Dogtra Field staff

IMO you're never "done" with hand signals or casting drills. There are many more drills other than baseball drill. How old is the dog? What have you done prior to baseball drills? Here are just a few in no particular order: walking baseball, tune-up drills, 8 handed casting (wagon wheel), no hands back drill, casting into water, casting off points, definitive casting drills etc.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

You are asking us when we don't know what training your dog has had and what program you are following, if any.

Honestly, that's pretty tall order. I don't think you can get good, solid, reliable guideance from the information you provided. What kind of program are you following, what goals do you have for the dog?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

after baseball? Football and Hockey!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My pup has hockey in her blood.......loves retrieving hockey pucks LOL

Millie with puck.jpg
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    You are asking us when we don't know what training your dog has had and what program you are following, if any.

Honestly, that's pretty tall order. I don't think you can get good, solid, reliable guideance from the information you provided. What kind of program are you following, what goals do you have for the dog?
    X2!!!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

My that's a tall order. By the way I have never done baseball (three handed casting) at those distance. I agree with Howard. You have to provide more information.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Sorry about that guys for giving ta details. But he's around year and some years old. We don't really follow a program to a t but have followed a couple of different ones. Also trained with a pro trainer all last summer and have done a lot with the dog expect for casting. Just looking for a dog that takes hand casts so don't need something like for trials or anything. So I'm just asking what are some things to do after the baseball drill.
    dns guide service
    Avery Outdoors
    Dogtra Field staff

You can go to Mike Lardy's website and find a free down loadable flow chart. It indicates the drills he does and the order. But it is not instructional, just a flow chart.

You might want to proof read your last post as it is somewhat confusing.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"