The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AKC Test "Score Card" Protocol?

Phillip, If you can't take the sheet home and you want to learn from your run, ask if you can copy the relevant parts on a separate sheet. It doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to remember and learn from.

In AKC pointing hunt tests, we always got our scores on a separate little slip with our ribbons. It wasn't something you asked for, just the categories and scores. Of course, you could get them if you didn't get a ribbon too. It was always interesting to see what a 5 vs a 10 was on different tests or with different judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Not all policies are written where they can be found.
    I was afraid that was the answer....

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Maybe it would be advisable for you to attend one. BCSRC will be holding one this July. It is for handlers as well as judges and really gives you better insight into what the judges are looking for. Perhaps after you take it, you will even take steps to become a judge. We always welcome new blood in the judges pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    One suggestion- attend a judges seminar. This will allow the opportunity to see the world from the other side of the notebook as well as a first hand opportunity to discuss at length any interpretational issues or concerns in a completely neutral environment. Gives you a first hand reply from the representatives of the rule making organization and an opportunity to explore the rationale behind most of the rules.
    Thanks for the positive feed back. I'm seriously considering signing up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Phillip, If you can't take the sheet home and you want to learn from your run, ask if you can copy the relevant parts on a separate sheet. It doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to remember and learn from.
    Great suggestion. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by podunkccrs View Post
    In AKC pointing hunt tests, we always got our scores on a separate little slip with our ribbons. It wasn't something you asked for, just the categories and scores. Of course, you could get them if you didn't get a ribbon too. It was always interesting to see what a 5 vs a 10 was on different tests or with different judges.
    Perfect!!! That is exactly what I had in mind. I won't hold my breath but maybe we'll see the same in retriever hunt test some day.

In AKC pointing hunt tests is there a portion of the rulebook that give the handler the opportunity to discuss their dogs work with the judges, or do all they get is a slip with scores?
    Last edited by Thomas D; 04-24-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Changed from retrieving to pointing hunt tests
    Tom Dorroh

Absolutely, in pointing hunt tests, you can review your test with the judges after ribbons, just like retriever hunt tests.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Regulations & Guidelines for AKC® Hunting Tests for Retrievers
    Chapter 3

Section 24. Scoring. The Judges of any Hunting Test shall not rank dogs in the order of the dog’s relative numerical scores, nor shall Judges be obliged to divulge any information with respect to the relative standing of numerical scores. Dogs shall not be “run-off” in order to separate scores.
    Handlers and owners shall be permitted to review their own dog’s evaluation sheets at the conclusion of the test or when, in the judgment of the Test Secretary, it will not interfere with the computation of scores. Judges are not required to rationalize their scores for handlers.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Quote Originally Posted by troy schwab View Post
    cant speak for AKC, but for UKC it is one year, stated in the rulebook, before judges code of ethics.
    Yes HRC is one year. As far as AKC, I might be remembeing from years back and seminars. I keep mind longer just because I forget to get ride of them.

Phillips, if you want your score sheet, why not ask the judge if you can take a picture of it with your phone. Most everyone can do that with their phones now. As a judge, if you asked to see your sheet and you did not argue with the judge about what was on it, I would have not problem with you taking a picture of your sheet only.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    Regulations & Guidelines for AKC® Hunting Tests for Retrievers
    Chapter 3

Section 24. Scoring. The Judges of any Hunting Test shall not rank dogs in the order of the dog’s relative numerical scores, nor shall Judges be obliged to divulge any information with respect to the relative standing of numerical scores. Dogs shall not be “run-off” in order to separate scores.
    Handlers and owners shall be permitted to review their own dog’s evaluation sheets at the conclusion of the test or when, in the judgment of the Test Secretary, it will not interfere with the computation of scores. Judges are not required to rationalize their scores for handlers.
    Thanks, Vicky!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I have given a score sheet out once. A lady battling cancer had a friend run her dog. The dog did well and when the handler explained the situation to me I made a copy of the score sheet for me and gave the original to the handler to give to the Lady. I will discuss any dog's sheet with the owner or handler in a mutually respectful manner. So far all that have failed know why before they leave the line as their dog has put themselves out. I keep mine a year .
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com