The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dog feeding question

Default Dog feeding question

What is yalls feeding schedule for your dogs? DO you prefer feeding once or twice a day? Also I usually work my dog in the evenings after work. Does anyone ever work their dog after feeding in the evening? I have heard this can be dangerous and make the dogs stomach flip if done right after they have been fed. If you do work your dog after feeding, how long after he has been fed do you feel safe to work him? Right now I feed once a day and only feed after I am done working the dog and he has cooled down. Rookie here with rookie questions so any advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by mja9346; 04-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.

6:30 am wake up take him out (does #1). feed him 2 cups of 30/20 victor. i shower. get dressed take him back out (does #2)
    7:30am-5pm wife is home to take care of him.
    5:30 pm come home from work. take him out (does #1) go to training field (does #2). train. let him drink a bowl of water before leaving.
    6:15 pm come home let him calm down (between 30 mins and hour depending on work load) water available. after cooled down 2 cups of victor 30/20.

Once a day in the pm usually around dark.

pretty much what blake said, I also train in the evening after work.

Feed 1 1/2 cup victor 30/20 in the morning, usually around 6:45, then 2 cups in the evening, around 8pm.

I feed twice a day. 1st when I get up in the morning. Then I train 2 hours after. Some mornings I will go out to train the first thing. Then I feed when I am done with the morning training.

I often train in the evening and feed afterwards. My PM feeding is usually 9:00 pm'ish.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I feed one time per day, late evening.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Once a day, evenings ,always after hunting or training / never before.

I train in the evenings and make sure the dog is cooled down before I do. She also gets fed in the morning. I'll feed her full morning serving in the morning if it will be a few hours before a test/trial/hunt. If she's going to be working fairly soon after I get up I'll feed a portion before and a portion after, or just wait until I get home. Her feeding schedule is pretty eratic during hunting season, but I just try to make sure she's cooled off and settled down before I feed her at anytime.
    Rocky Hill's Texas Lady MH

Go team chocolate!