The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 270's & 300 win mags

Default 270's & 300 win mags

I went to Walmart today to buy some graph paper and decided to pick up some CCI stingers while there. Went over to the ammo case and there was nothing but about 8 boxes of .270, four or five of .300 win mag, same with 7mm mag, and a couple of 7mm-.08. No .22, no 2 3/4" 12 ga, no 20 ga birdshot, a couple of boxes of 20 ga buck shot, and maybe 20 total boxes of .410, 3" 12 ga, and 10 ga!! Wish I had my camera with me. Really a bit scary.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I went to Walmart today to buy some graph paper and decided to pick up some CCI stingers while there. Went over to the ammo case and there was nothing but about 8 boxes of .270, four or five of .300 win mag, same with 7mm mag, and a couple of 7mm-.08. No .22, no 2 3/4" 12 ga, no 20 ga birdshot, a couple of boxes of 20 ga buck shot, and maybe 20 total boxes of .410, 3" 12 ga, and 10 ga!! Wish I had my camera with me. Really a bit scary.
    Last weekend I bought a box of 9 mm and a box of 38 special. Two box limit. The guy is a friend so I say, how about you sell me 4? Nope, he has other customers to keep happy too. He said he got a pallet load of ammo and a guy from Minneapolis tried to buy the whole thing. So he asks, what the hell you need with that? The guy wanted to take it and mark it up double. He told him to "hit the road." He sold a bunch while I was hanging around. It was a Sunday afternoon at the gun shop and the place was PACKED.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I just can't believe that the panic is still going on. Why is .22 so so scarce? Not exactly the ideal home defense round. Not a real popular round for combat. Just a fun little plinking bullet. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I just can't believe that the panic is still going on. Why is .22 so so scarce? Not exactly the ideal home defense round. Not a real popular round for combat. Just a fun little plinking bullet. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    That was my question exactly. The guy at the gun store told me to let him know when I figured out human psychology. The best answer I've gotten is that everyone has a .22.

Our local farm store sells out of .22 shell's within 2 days every time they get any in. I was lucky enough to get 200 rounds yesterday,Monday they got there shipment in and there where 4 boxes left after I got my 3.

Last week I paid $48 for 550 rounds of .22's about an hour away at a reloading store. Cant remember the brand name of them ,but the clerk said they where high quality shells...

Now I can shoot 749 squirrels.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Our local farm store sells out of .22 shell's within 2 days every time they get any in. I was lucky enough to get 200 rounds yesterday,Monday they got there shipment in and there where 4 boxes left after I got my 3.

Last week I paid $48 for 550 rounds of .22's about an hour away at a reloading store. Cant remember the brand name of them ,but the clerk said they where high quality shells...

Now I can shoot 749 squirrels.
    Thats why folks buy .22 ammo. It is good for small game for a protien source if the SHTF. There was a popular book that came out and suggested this. It recommended a shotgun for home defense and .22 for small game. I am not one of these folks but know a few

For example:

a ruger 10-22 with after market magazines is absolutly a weapon that is lethal as a protection gun. Its very light, easy to carry and transport.
    .22 bullets enter the body, and "bounce" around and cause extensive damage. The .22 is very accurate, easy to shoot mutiple shots very quickly and accuratly.

The advantage of the small, light weight round, gives the user the advantage to carry a lot of ammo, without weight issues.... Its a GREAT round as far as a survival tool...

As far a a Prepper is concerned... a stockpile of a lightweight semi auto rifle, with a few thousand rounds of ammo is a necessary tool to have in their tool box.
    Much more effiecient than guys you see sittin around casting thier lead pistol bullets one at a time... Or,, more effiecient than reloading a costly round such asa 30-06 or .308 that needs a LOT of powder, and a stockpile of ammo weights a ton, and takes up a lot of space comparativly. Hardto pack 1000 rounds of 30-06 on your person,, but relativly easy with a .22

a.22 rifle is my choice as a survival weapon. I particuarly like the Browning .22 auto takedown..
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 04-24-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

ANNNND I swear I use to buy a "brick" of .22 that were 1000 count,, and never paid over $10.00 for them. Wouldnt purchase .22's unless you could get them for .01 a round.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    ANNNND I swear I use to buy a "brick" of .22 that were 1000 count,, and never paid over $10.00 for them. Wouldnt purchase .22's unless you could get them for .01 a round.

Gooser
    Same here, Remington thunderbolts were always a buck a box, or $9 a brick. Now the 550 boxes of .22s are going for around $125 on the local auction site, makes me temped to sell a few.

I never thought about reloading 22 shells to save money until now

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"