RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Kennel Camera?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BriGuy 
#1 ·
I would like to set up a camera system on my outdoor kennels and my whelping box that I can monitor remotely. Anyone out there have a set up you can suggest and any feedback is appreciated.

#4 ·
Hi Mike - I installed a First Alert wireless system about two years ago and the system has been flawless. We can't see our drive from inside the house so we set it up to alert my wife when visitors arrive. Cameras need A/C so we set up some outlets on the walls behind the camera to plug the units in. Comes with a small monitor which does a loop recording and has sound capability as well. Camera has about a 50 foot infrared range at night with good dusk and dawn capability as well. I will be adding two more cameras this summer. I think the start up package with one camera was about $275.00 or so. Feel free to call me if you would like more info.......Paul

#6 ·
This was recommended to me by several other breeders who were using it in their puppy whelping rooms...not sure about outdoor kennel use

https://www.dropcam.com/

#9 ·
I've been using a Foscam IP camera. Mine is an indoor model, but they have outdoor models like this:
FOSCAM Fi8904w (<-- I couldn't post a link, but you can google this model)

I use the IP Cam viewer app on my android phone, and I can view video live, listen, speak, and pan the camera. The night video is actually much better than I expected in a lower end camera.

As for recording, I set my camera up to take a picture every 10 seconds and upload this to an FTP server I have. There are software applications that can string these pictures together and make video. As you can imagine, pictures snapped every 10 seconds add up to quite a bit of data after some time, so you should have a way of automating the archiving or removal of this. Also, most web providers will not be happy with you for taking up so much bandwidth. I am still working on a better solution to this myself.

If you have power and wifi (or could run ethernet cable out there as some cameras can get power over ethernet) at the kennel, this might be an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.