The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fool a lab in eating there food...

How old is your pup? Mine was the same way until just about a week ago. I switched from 3 meals a day to two and now he finishes in just a couple of minutes.
    Christopher Nemitz

Quote Originally Posted by cn44 View Post
    How old is your pup? Mine was the same way until just about a week ago. I switched from 3 meals a day to two and now he finishes in just a couple of minutes.
    He is 9 weeks.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

Mine was that same way. Not interested at eating his own food at all. He is 13 weeks now and just a week ago really started eating all his food without walking away from it.
    Christopher Nemitz

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    um, no. I was not. I have snacked on every type of kibble I have ever fed my dogs. Just as I have pushed every button on my collar on my arm. You know those great snack crackers "Chicken in a biskit"? I love those BTW. Anyway real good dry dog food kinda taste like those. BTW read the ing of those human crackers and they are very much like grocery store dog food. The stuff we all warn against. and we woof it down in handfulls, with DIP!

anyway, if Fang Jr. don't like it try another. not like euk is manna from on high or sumptin'
    But how were your stools?

Euk LBP is big, hard kibble. My young pup was not crazy about it either. Adding warm water helped. I switched to Blue Buffalo LBP, which is a smaller kibble. He ate it like crazy, BUT after a month his stool never firmed up, SO I switched back to Euk LBP. He ate it like he hadn't eat in a week. At 10 months old, he is still on it, and still inhales it.

So, you might try soaking it first or try the pick it up in 10 minutes. I don't suspect ole pup will starve!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Couldn't even imagine your problem. My 10 mo. old BLF eats every meal like its her last. I have never had a dog eat like she does. I'm pretty sure she doesn't chew, just inhales!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    Euk LBP is big, hard kibble. My young pup was not crazy about it either. Adding warm water helped. I switched to Blue Buffalo LBP, which is a smaller kibble. He ate it like crazy, BUT after a month his stool never firmed up, SO I switched back to Euk LBP. He ate it like he hadn't eat in a week. At 10 months old, he is still on it, and still inhales it.

So, you might try soaking it first or try the pick it up in 10 minutes. I don't suspect ole pup will starve!
    I did talk to Eukanuba and they said to add warm water as well to soften the kibble and its suppose to release the scent a little more so I am going to try that. The nutrisource food is much smaller kibble so maybe that could be the problem.

The lab in my avatar ate his food like it was his first and last time he ever ate he ate so fast I had to come up with ways to slow him down as he would puke it up everytime and then eat it again it didnt matter what food it was it he ate like a maniac not once did I ever hear him chew on his food. All in all I liked it as it made it easy to work on treat training and everything else.

dont get me wrong we have other types of treats this puppy goes mental for but can tell it takes away his motivation on eating his food so I only use treats after he eats.

Senior Member Elliott Labradors's Avatar

Simple puppy psychology....while pointing your finger at him and in a very stern voice tell him that food is very expensive and your wife likes it to stay nice and neat in the bowl and if he messes with it your wife will ring your neck (yours, not the pups) when she gets home. Then just walk away.

This should work....worked for me on my coffee table legs ,

Wally
    Elliott's Amazing Grace Of Diamond E MH, CGC
    HRCH Elliott's Rockin' Roxy MH, CGC
    HR Elliott's Carolina Thorne MH, CGC
    Elliott's Dixie Lou MH
    Elliott's Carolina Duchess MH, CGC
    Elliott's Armbrook Go Tell It On The Mountain JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Lilly Of The Valley JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Set My Soul Afire JH
    Elliott's Armbrook Living By Faith JH

www.ElliottLabradors.com

America would be a different place at sundown if we all started with a devotion at sunup! Wally Elliott

I just picked up my BLM last weekend and the kennel I bought him from advised me to soak his food (pro plan puppy) for 30-45 min before feeding him. He said to do this for 4 more weeks (until he's 11 weeks old). My pup doesnt have an eating problem like you describe, but he does go nuts for the time the food is soaking on the counter...I guess that means his nose works!! And he also doesn't chew it before swallowing.

thanks for all the advice I will try step one in soaking his food and then try the canned wet food mix if that doesnt work... and if both those dont work I will consider a new choice in food and hopefully that doesnt happen... I will keep you all posted