The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to fool a lab in eating there food...

Quote Originally Posted by FPA Ammo View Post
    thanks for all the advice I will try step one in soaking his food and then try the canned wet food mix if that doesnt work... and if both those dont work I will consider a new choice in food and hopefully that doesnt happen... I will keep you all posted
    Canned food is the ace trump card to get a dog to eat when necessary , sick ...don't play it now ...Switch feeds is a far better idea.. Dad used bacon grease to up the ante on palability....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I make a game out of dinner time and hide their food under the gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    But how were your stools?
    old school stools of course

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Why not feed Nutrisource since your pup liked it? I feed the super performance Nutrisource.
    My 8 month old pup always gets compliments on his shiny soft coat and his excellent body condition.
    He's 66 lbs now, feed 1 3/4 cups twice a day. I do also like that it comes in smaller sized kibble that and I do always throw some water in with food, I think like to think it helps with digestion, but what the hell he likes it!
    That's training in am and try for 2 walks daily. Yes, both my dogs like their treats so throw those in too. But in my humble opinion I think he thrives on it.

So after adding some warm water and letting it soak for about 10 mins last night, "Fang Jr." as Ken put it, ate every last kibble like it was his last and once I put the food in the bowl this morning he came running down the hallway looking for his food. I let it soak again for another 10 mins and same result ate every last kibble.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

Quote Originally Posted by FPA Ammo View Post
    So after adding some warm water and letting it soak for about 10 mins last night, "Fang Jr." as Ken put it, ate every last kibble like it was his last and once I put the food in the bowl this morning he came running down the hallway looking for his food. I let it soak again for another 10 mins and same result ate every last kibble.
    Good deal! By soaking it, you'll also prevent him from getting as "dried out" and thirsty if you have to crate him right after feeding. I still cover my pup's food with water if I know he will be in the dog box for a while and not have access to water.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Seriously?!?!? There are Labs out there that don't get excited about eating???? Like most of you, I make mine wait to be released to eat. You would do well not to be between him and that bowl when I release him. Think the front door of the office at 5:01 Friday afternoon.

Yep RookieTrainer, I thought this was a joke thread at first. Glad to see he's eating.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Seriously?!?!? There are Labs out there that don't get excited about eating???? Like most of you, I make mine wait to be released to eat. You would do well not to be between him and that bowl when I release him. Think the front door of the office at 5:01 Friday afternoon.
    Its not that he wasnt excited to eat... he just didnt care for his food. He got a take of our other dogs food and completely went nutso over it like every lab does and after that could care less about the food he had been on when I picked him up.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)