The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Higher Education

My high school (NY State) required a year of American History and a year of World History. I believe there were state-required "Regents" exams for both if you wanted to graduate with a "Regents Diploma". We also had lots of American History in 8th grade.

College did not require any American history (I was not a history major, so don't know if any was required for them.) All students were required to take "Humanities 101) ... which was actually a history of world religions; one semester packed with volumes of information. Also required at least one year of English (may have been two?)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The unfortunate part about history as a subject is that it usually isn't appreciated by people until we are out of school.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Could you please tell me what someone with the credentials you describe could add to this conversation?

It's seems to me that since we've concerned ourselves with what a student must know about history in order to get a degree in it, that perhaps someone who knows more about history than I do might add some constructive insight on the topic.

We had American history in 8th grade and in 10th grade. You were required to pass 10th grade American history to graduate. It was one of those classes that required ZERO effort to get an A. Just read the chapters on the test in the class you had right before and you were good to go.
    In college we were required to take so many credits of "Humanities" of whiich history was included. STUPID TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY! Never understood what that had to do with either my original major or my actual major. At the time and still today I consider any class like that a total waste.
    An interesting side note on the subject of American history is that although I flew through it in high school with an A+ I had to do a bit of studying and brush up before taking the US citizenship test because the answers to some of the questions required knowing current names not what you were taught in school.

For example if the question was (didn't have to study this one but) If something happened to the President and Vice President who becomes President?
    Answer should be the name of the current Speaker of the House not "Speaker of the House".
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

History has a way of revealing the real truth as time reveals the actual effects of policies and events. American History in public universities are required courses. Much can be learned from history, however, it is important for one to realize things may have not happen in history for the reasons once believed, because other varables that are not as obvious may have caused things to turn out the way they did.

Think back when we took history, it was required and we just wanted the grade so we could move on. I don't think kids are any different today. As we get older, history is more important to us. Too bad we did not realize it when we were young.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    History has a way of revealing the real truth as time reveals the actual effects of policies and events. American History in public universities are required courses. Much can be learned from history, however, it is important for one to realize things may have not happen in history for the reasons once believed, because other varables that are not as obvious may have caused things to turn out the way they did.

Think back when we took history, it was required and we just wanted the grade so we could move on. I don't think kids are any different today. As we get older, history is more important to us. Too bad we did not realize it when we were young.
    Any chance in the world that meanings and perceptions have changed?
    Don't change history and motives to suit ideology.

I knew a girl in HS named Gay, she was anything but gay................
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post

The crap they feed kids today is nothing like the high schoo history I took. We had to learn facts like a list in order of presidents. When I would complain my mom also reminded me that I only had to learn 2 hundred years not almost 2000 years of kings and Queens like she did.
    I graduated from high school in 81 and even back then the American version of WW2 in GB conflicted with what my parents and grandparents who actually lived it told me.

I don't know that my experience will mean anything today. In the 60's era high school we took a year of world history, a year of American history, and a year of government and economics (semester each). I then attended a fairly good liberal arts college so our majors were fairly intense but were not all consuming. Thus, I was a Political Science major with 1 course per semester and a couple of two-fers. This left time for another year of American History, a year of English history, 2 advanced seminars in the pre and post Civil War era, plus 1 semester of World history. Part of this was because of a Prof that was so interesting that I'd have taken a course in Post WWII Mousetrap Making if he'd offered it. Come to find out now that he's one of the truly great living scholars on Lincoln.

I always thought that was about par for the course for the liberal arts folks who majored in a social sciences field. Seems it's not?
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I always thought that was about par for the course for the liberal arts folks who majored in a social sciences field. Seems it's not?
    Maybe but for those of us that were not liberal arts majors all of that CRAP was just a waste of time and money. I battled one prof freshamn year due to facts being wrong ( WW2) and I will trust those who lived it in Europe. What the heck did his left wing spin on that have to do with my major? Jack swat, waste of time! Honest brat that I was I even told him that his class wasted my time. 30 years later my opinion of those stupid classes has not changed.
    I went ot college to learn a skill not waste my time on useless BS.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    The crap they feed kids today is nothing like the high schoo history I took. We had to learn facts like a list in order of presidents. When I would complain my mom also reminded me that I only had to learn 2 hundred years not almost 2000 years of kings and Queens like she did.
    I graduated from high school in 81 and even back then the American version of WW2 in GB conflicted with what my parents and grandparents who actually lived it told me.
    Primary and secondary school American History courses are much like Reader's Digest condensed versions. How much can you really pack into a high school required course?

I took a few history courses in college. The content was generally narrowly focused, and the required reading was usually that produced by the instructor. Lists of suggested readings were supplied however.

In the final analysis, if one wishes to be educated and informed, one will be, or not, as one chooses.

I was not an English Major so I apologize for any mistakes in spelling, grammar, punctuation or syntax.

I believe that self-education far outways the value of public education.

To bad we don't try to instill that value, rather than the value of one size fits all. Pass the test...you're done... No child left behind...JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift