The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paean to a hammer

Default paean to a hammer

I gather from various posts both on POTUS and on the main board that I am not the only one here who gets a certain pleasure in physical labor or takes pride in working with my hands. I am currently competing in a fairly intense wildlife photo contest ( www.wildlifeinfocus.org ) and have been spending quite a bit of time running waterlines and building blinds. I have a hammer that I have had since I was in grad school. It is nothing special as hammers go, just a regular 16 oz hammer with a straight claw, fiberglass handle, and a rubber grip. I bought it to drive fence staples and ground the striking face a tiny bit concave to facilitate that. I believe that it is probably my oldest hand tool. Both times that my tools have been stolen, somehow it escaped (probably because one uses a hammer to work and it isn't worth much at a pawn shop). I have carried it to various locations around Texas and into Oklahoma and am pretty amazed that I have never left it on the rear bumper of the truck or just laid it down somewhere and forgotten it. By simple virtue of perseverance, it has become one of my prized possessions. It fits my hand and there is really something almost transcendent about a well struck nail. Well, last week after laying the floor and putting up the walls on a pit blind, I couldn't find the hammer (we were using a nail gun to do most of the construction). I searched everywhere I could remember having the hammer and couldn't find it. I was sure that I must have laid it down and decked over it (and there was no pulling up the floor). I was pretty unhappy. Well, I still had more construction to do, so finally bought a new cheap hammer at Lowes yesterday. No sooner had I gotten home than I had to get something out of my secondary toolbox, and lo and behold, there was my old friend. I was wondering what brand the old hammer was (the new one is Kobalt) and so I looked all over it and couldn't find a brand, but molded into the butt, it did say in big letters (guess what?) MADE IN THE USA!!! (Kobalt comes from China). Just a little tale about nothing, but finding that hammer really made me smile. Using the nail gun is fast, but I still like the feel of striking a nail dead on.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I'm not up on all the Kobalt stuff, but about 6 months ago their wrenches, ratchets, sockets etc were out sourced to China, they used to be made in the USA., same with Craftsman.

F/G is a fairly recent handle type . But I do personally appreciate those tools that fit & do the job. I have a pipe wrench left from my days as a contract miner.

I have been looking @ a raised bed garden - recently a local farm store had rubber tanks on sale - perfect for raised beds & I will top them out for cold weather - if we move can transport with us so will not have to reestablish the strawberries & other perennials. Being a farm kid just never gets out of your blood.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

hugh,
    off the top of my head....red fiberglass is "plumb" brand. orange fg is "craftsman".
    post a pic and we might be able to tell you what brand the hammer is.
    john mccallie

Hugh,

I totally get it. I don't hand frame much anymore, but my favorite was a 28oz Vaughn California framer. Great fit and balance, until a sub used it to try and pull a spike out of an old timber and snapped the handle. Never found another as well balanced.

My second farvorite is a still productive Vaughn 22oz Rip framer, a 999, with a fiberglas handle. The grip is nearly worn thru.

If I was still hand framing, I would look at the Titanium hammers out now. Really nice. A 13 oz swings like a 24.

( if the handle on yours is yellowish it is a Vaughn )
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Hugh,

I totally get it. I don't hand frame much anymore, but my favorite was a 28oz Vaughn California framer. Great fit and balance, until a sub used it to try and pull a spike out of an old timber and snapped the handle. Never found another as well balanced.

My second farvorite is a still productive Vaughn 22oz Rip framer, a 999, with a fiberglas handle. The grip is nearly worn thru.

If I was still hand framing, I would look at the Titanium hammers out now. Really nice. A 13 oz swings like a 24.

( if the handle on yours is yellowish it is a Vaughn )
    Red handle, and I've looked all over the hammer for a brand stamp. Only says Made in USA on butt and "warning-be safe wear safety glasses" around "Cushion Grip" on the left side of the "cushion grip".
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Red handle, and I've looked all over the hammer for a brand stamp. Only says Made in USA on butt and "warning-be safe wear safety glasses" around "Cushion Grip" on the left side of the "cushion grip".
    It is prolly a " Plumb" brand. I have one I don't really like. Just fits me wrong, but a solid well made product. Plumb does not have it's name stamped anywhere. ( black handle? )

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    It is prolly a " Plumb" brand. I have one I don't really like. Just fits me wrong, but a solid well made product. Plumb does not have it's name stamped anywhere. ( black handle? )
    You're probably right. Red shaft, black grip. Just a plain hammer that was made here.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

This it?

plumb hammer.jpg

I get it really! I bought my first hammer 38 years ago.Its an estwing steel claw hammer with a blue rubber grip.Still have it on my tool belt.Told my Son that one day this will be Yours!
    Gee thanks Dad!