The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Test "Score Card" Protocol?

Default AKC Test "Score Card" Protocol?

While most judges are very willing to spend time with each contestant after the test discussing their "score card", would it be out of place for a contestant to request a copy?

With today's technology, it should not take more than 10 seconds for someone to take a picture with their smart phone of their judges scoresheet.

However, with that being said, I am not sure the current rules within the AKC allow for it. It only says that the judges may show the score sheet to the handler. I think it would all depend on how the conversation went with the handler of whether I would agree to "copy" the sheet, as I HOPE that they would be using it to try and learn from the experience of what they need to get better at.

BUT, as we all know, there are also others who would want a "copy" and then for some reason, that "copy" would end up on RTF on Monday morning, for the wonderful open forum discussion.

I agree, most judges would be afraid of malicious intent. I'm was simply unsure if this was too far out of the ordinary to even request. Can you request a copy form the club? Do clubs even keep these score cards on file for future reference or do they go in trash upon completion?

Judge under the buss!!!

600 yard mark regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

The judges keep their own sheets . AKC requires we keep them 6 mo, UKC 12 mos. Depends on reason you want the sheet if I send or not. If you spoke to the judges on why you did not pass after the test was done and you understood, than I would not have a problem but if you left the grounds than wanted to see it later I would not send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    The judges keep their own sheets . AKC requires we keep them 6 mo, UKC 12 mos. Depends on reason you want the sheet if I send or not. If you spoke to the judges on why you did not pass after the test was done and you understood, than I would not have a problem but if you left the grounds than wanted to see it later I would not send it.
    Help me here, Karen. What page of the rulebook does it require a judge to keep scoresheets 6 months. Thanks.
    I usually keep them about that long, as I have had someone call me the following week to discuss a dog.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Judge under the buss!!!

600 yard mark regards,
    Not everyone is quite so malicious. At least I would like to think not. I simply did not know if there was a precedence/rule/standard/policy/etc..... set by individual clubs or governing body (AKC/UKC), etc..

I guess I just don't understand the whole secrecy part of it. To me, it seems to send the wrong message by choosing not to provide it. What's there to hide? If judges feel strongly enough to issue passes/failures/placements, should they not feel inclined to provide their reasoning for doing so? I'm trying to think of another sport that operates even remotely similar, but can't think of one. Why not post the score cards on-line along with the results for everyone to see? Again, what's there to hide????

Personally, I would enjoy having the ability to look back at results (I currently keep a detailed training log which includes training regiments, diagrams of tests, factors, wind direction, distances, etc). Unfortunately, as an amateur, my time at the line can sometimes be quite the blur.

I'm assuming this "unwritten policy" is based on judges desire to avoid criticism and "that's how we've always done it...."? Quite understandable but still not a good reason.
    Last edited by phillip1119; 04-23-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a darn.....

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Phillip,
    Maybe I can explain why the judges sheets are kept by the judge and not shared with the world. #1. Most of us use our own form of short hand so much of what is drawn or written is not decipherable to the average person. #2 The hunt test games are not supposed to set up one dog over another. Yes we use numbers to score each atribute and it is the average of the scores that designates the qualifying dogs. #3 It would be overwhelming for any club or organization to maintain all the scoresheets on line.... for how long?...and who would care?

It is policy for the judges to make the judges sheet for his dog available for the handler to look at for a short eriod after the ribbons are announced. Judges do not have to explain or justify their decisions, but most will discuss strengths and weaknesses with you if you politely ask.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 04-23-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

It's been my experience that some judges who have judged our hunt tests remove their judging sheets from the binder which the club has provided them. They take their sheets home with them. Others turn in the binder with all the sheets in it. Nobody looks at the sheets. The binders get put into the equipment trailer. A year later we go through the binders, throw away the old sheets, and put in fresh new blank sheets for the new judges. That was one of my jobs this year. Some binders were empty, some had old sheets from the previous year. My job was to make sure the binders were empty and then I loaded them with new judging sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Phillip,
    Maybe I can explain why the judges sheets are kept by the judge and not shared with the world. #1. Most of us use our own form of short hand so much of what is drawn or written is not decipherable to the average person. #2 The hunt test games are not supposed to set up one dog over another. Yes we use numbers to score each atribute and it is the average of the scores that designates the qualifying dogs. #3 It would be overwhelming for any club or organization to maintain all the scoresheets on line.... for how long?...and who would care?

It is policy for the judges to make the judges sheet for his dog available for the handler to look at for a short eriod after the ribbons are announced. Judges do not have to explain or justify their decisions, but most will discuss strengths and weaknesses with you if you politely ask.

*****This******