The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: HRC Grand

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Laurel Hill, FL
    Posts
    122

    Default HRC Grand

    ANY UPDATE TO CALL BACKS AT THE GRAND? Pls Post if available!

    Thanks


    Timberpond Retrievers Trng Group

  2. #2
    Senior Member hotel4dogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SW of Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Since today is the first day I don't think they'll do callbacks until much later in the day, there are about 100 in each flight.

    Here's a link to the links when they do get them posted:

    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...nd-April-20-24

    Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Thru the 2nd series, it appears in total 203 (50%) of the original starting 410 dogs remain. Is that about standard thru 2 series?
    - Flight A - Only 28 (29%) of the 97 dogs in this flight remain thru 2nd series
    - Flight B - Only 48 (44%) of the 108 dogs in this flight remain thru 2nd series
    - Flight C - 62 (60%) of the 103 dogs in this flight remain thr 2nd series
    - Flight D - 67 (65%) of the 102 dogs in this flight remain thru the 2nd series.

    Question - This is truly an observation and reporting of numbers from the HRC website, but there are drastic differences in pass/fail ratios between Flight A and Flight C/D. My newbie question is, do ALL dogs at the GRAND run the same test setup...on different days, or would the Flight D dogs never see/run the Flight A test that had such a poor pass ratio? I find it hard to believe such a difference in dogs between Flights considering the pass/fail variance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    Thru the 2nd series, it appears in total 203 (50%) of the original starting 410 dogs remain. Is that about standard thru 2 series?
    - Flight A - Only 28 (29%) of the 97 dogs in this flight remain thru 2nd series
    - Flight B - Only 48 (44%) of the 108 dogs in this flight remain thru 2nd series
    - Flight C - 62 (60%) of the 103 dogs in this flight remain thr 2nd series
    - Flight D - 67 (65%) of the 102 dogs in this flight remain thru the 2nd series.

    Question - This is truly an observation and reporting of numbers from the HRC website, but there are drastic differences in pass/fail ratios between Flight A and Flight C/D. My newbie question is, do ALL dogs at the GRAND run the same test setup...on different days, or would the Flight D dogs never see/run the Flight A test that had such a poor pass ratio? I find it hard to believe such a difference in dogs between Flights considering the pass/fail variance.
    383 actually ran. 410 signed up. i'm assuming some of those entries were conditional (on 100 points before the grand), some were injuries, and some were in heat.

    flight C started at the drake water which is eating everyone's lunch. gunner's up land is also getting a bunch of dogs in trouble. C went from 103 to 69 first day at drake. then 55 after 2nd day at purina. today they are at tri-tronics water. tomorrow gunner's up land. wednesday all remaining dogs from all flights are ran in an upland test.

    there are 4 tests each group switches to the next test. C and D started at the harder tests. both tests had about 80% of the field handling to the same marks (on respective tests). every test after those tests handler's swallowed their whistles on all marks because one more handle and you are out.

    groups A and B started at the somewhat less harder tests. if they thought their dogs were having trouble first day some may have blown an early whistle and handled not realizing they'd need that handle at one of the other more difficult tests. after they rotated to harder test the next day dogs were dropping quick.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    For the Grand the test setup stays in place, with the same judges and the dogs rotate through the different tests. Appears the test that flight A ran is a kicker, then B. Perhaps Flight A can sweat a little less, flights C&D probably not looking forward to the test A just finished

    http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/...rand/index.htm
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-22-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    383 actually ran. 410 signed up. i'm assuming some of those entries were conditional (on 100 points before the grand), some were injuries, and some

    groups A and B started at the somewhat less harder tests. if they thought their dogs were having trouble first day some may have blown an early whistle and handled not realizing they'd need that handle at one of the other more difficult tests. after they rotated to harder test the next day dogs were dropping quick.

    based on the % pass/fail, your comment is not accurate about Group A/B. Their pass ratio was considerably lower than C/D...making D look like a cakewalk as compared to A. maybe i'm just reading it wrong....but %'s usually don't lie??

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    based on the % pass/fail, your comment is not accurate about Group A/B. Their pass ratio was considerably lower than C/D...making D look like a cakewalk as compared to A. maybe i'm just reading it wrong....but %'s usually don't lie??
    What I'm saying is that C and D had harder test first and handled but passed. The next day the handlers were more willing to let the dog work as opposed to getting dropped. A and B had easier test first and some handlers handled on the easy test (not knowing they'd need the handle on the next day) instead of letting the dogs work. The next day the tough test put them out when the handle was needed.

    Saturday C ran drake and A ran purina. Sunday C ran purina and A ran drake. All conditions were the same. And roughly 80% of the field handled on drake both days. Problem was A had already used some handles on Saturday at purina and they were dropped. Whereas C used their handle on the hard test so at the easier test they just let the dogs work.

    Today A is at the hard land (gunners up where D started) and C is at easy water (tri tronics where B started)

    jest of the story its better to start out on hardest test (see group C and D) than easy (group A B)

  8. #8
    Senior Member fishduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere Alabama
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Most of the time at the Grand the decision to handle is made for you. "Put your dog on the bird" is a common phrase.
    Mark Land

  9. #9
    Senior Member kona's mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Hearing a lot of disgruntled handlers from Flight A. Anyone there know the story?
    Nicole


    Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    What I'm saying is that C and D had harder test first and handled but passed. The next day the handlers were more willing to let the dog work as opposed to getting dropped. A and B had easier test first and some handlers handled on the easy test (not knowing they'd need the handle on the next day) instead of letting the dogs work. The next day the tough test put them out when the handle was needed.

    Saturday C ran drake and A ran purina. Sunday C ran purina and A ran drake. All conditions were the same. And roughly 80% of the field handled on drake both days. Problem was A had already used some handles on Saturday at purina and they were dropped. Whereas C used their handle on the hard test so at the easier test they just let the dogs work.

    Today A is at the hard land (gunners up where D started) and C is at easy water (tri tronics where B started)

    jest of the story its better to start out on hardest test (see group C and D) than easy (group A B)


    it still appears your story is off. Based on the numbers A had by far the hardest considering how few passed. c/d had the highest percentage of passes of which one make assume that it was easier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •