The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally building a pond!

Default Finally building a pond!

We finally purchased 40 acres mostly wooded but the good news is there is a space for a wildlife/training pond. The pond can be a max of 35 yards by 35 yards. I have been contemplating a few different designs and am looking for some advice from those who have experience with smaller ponds. So I have pond 1 and 2 attached. My thinking is I can do swim by starting at bottom middle and forcing to the point which will be 15 yards away. I'll be able to do some channel work also. I can also de-cheat, angle entries, re-entries with both designs. What do you see as advantages and disadvantages to these designs and the overall scales. Keep in mind I run hunt test so big yardage isn't necessary. Where the pond is placed the longest marks possible will be about 150 yds. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt Weberpal

Candlewood's Just In Case JH

I like #2.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I like #2 also. Gives another added short water, long land, short water entry from left to right while looking at the picture running from the 20 yd side towards the 35 yard side, that #1 didn't have.
    Bo Hanson

Bullpen's Hammerin HomeRun King 755 (Hank)
    Bullpen's Say It Ain't So Joe JH (Josie)

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? "-John Wooden

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."-Henry Ford

plan for your mounds with excavated dirt and keep prevailing wind direction in mind.

#2, take the leg that is in the middle of the pond pointing to your right shore and disconnect it from the land making it into an island. Got to have islands to train a dog.
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

I like #2 the best. By narrowing the access to the middle section of land you will get the same effect as an Island and not need a boat or waders to get to it. Sounds like a great place for a couple of woodduck houses too. Let me know when you need a thrower.
    Jim

#2 as well
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Depends on where you plan on putting the duck blind
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by middlebranchlabs View Post
    I like #2 the best. By narrowing the access to the middle section of land you will get the same effect as an Island and not need a boat or waders to get to it. Sounds like a great place for a couple of woodduck houses too. Let me know when you need a thrower.
    Jim
    Yeah I was thinking #2 also I like middle branches idea. I don't want a full island because that would be too much like work to get it trimmed. I'll let you know when it's complete so you can try it out you're welcome anytime. It may not be dug until this winter.
    Matt Weberpal

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post
    Depends on where you plan on putting the duck blind
    Top left corner will be northeast. Did I mention we're only a 1/4 mile from a 260 acre refuge and surrounded by 1,000 acres of wetland!
    Matt Weberpal