The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Claire McCaskill's response to email concerning gun control

  1. #1
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,829

    Default Claire McCaskill's response to email concerning gun control

    Several weeks ago I emailed my senator with my thoughts on current gun control and this was her response. She still doesnt get the point that resticting and limiting sales to responsible gun owners will not stop criminals from doing harm.

    How would you respond to this email??
    Myself I think she is trying to blow smoke up me arse.

    I bolded a couple things that really stood out to me



    April 26, 2013
    Dear Mr. White,

    Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

    As you know, the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees Americans the fundamental right to bear arms. I strongly support legal and safe gun ownership by law-abiding citizens, and I welcomed and supported the Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller that made clear that the constitutional right to gun ownership is an individual one. I have also consistently voted to uphold this constitutional right, including permitting residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms and to prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen.

    At the same time, we have to make sure that guns do not fall into the hands of individuals who should not have them, like criminals and individuals with mental illnesses. Recent events, such as the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrific massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, have made it clear that we should have sensible, constitutional controls on gun ownership that address safety in our communities.

    In the wake of these tragedies, I have heard from many Missouri gun owners, including veterans and hunters, who agree that commonsense protections, such as background checks or limiting access to high capacity ammunition magazines and weapons designed for use by soldiers in combat, are sensible measures we could implement to improve the safety of Americans that do not infringe on our Second Amendment rights.

    Proposals like these were considered when the Senate debated S. 649, the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act. During consideration of this bill, I was proud to vote for several gun safety measures, including bipartisan proposals to expand background checks to purchases made at gun shows and on the internet, and to increase penalties for "straw purchases" when individuals buy guns for those who are barred from purchasing the guns themselves, such as those with past felony convictions or severe mental illness. I also voted to limit access to military-style assault weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines. I believe sensible regulation of firearms, such as that proposed in these measures, would keep our children and our law enforcement officers safe from the mass-casualty crimes in which these weapons are often used. I was disappointed that these safety measures, which are overwhelmingly supported by the American public, failed to achieve the necessary votes to overcome opponents' filibusters. Senate leaders have now set aside S. 649 while negotiations continue.

    Knowing that those responsible for some of the most recent mass shootings have suffered from mental illness, it is clear that we must also consider mental health services available to our citizens. A more robust mental health care system may help identify and treat individuals who need help before they resort to violence. I am strongly committed to expanding access to mental health services, which is why I voted for an amendment to S. 649 to reauthorize and improve programs related to the use of intervention and support services in schools, suicide prevention, helping children recover from traumatic events, and integrating behavioral and primary care. I also supported the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as "Obamacare," which will expand important mental health coverage when it is fully implemented in 2014.

    You may be interested to know that during consideration of S. 649 I also voted in support of a measure that would penalize state and local governments who wrongfully release information about gun owners to the public. I also voted in support of our nation's veterans when I supported an amendment that would ensure veterans receive due process before a Veterans Administration determination can remove a veteran's right to own a gun.

    While the debate over appropriate gun safety measures is divisive, it is far from over. I firmly believe that this nation can unite in support of sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens--especially innocent children--while we continue to respect the Constitution. Please know that I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind when Congress again considers gun-related legislation.

    Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

    Sincerely,



    Claire McCaskill
    United States Senator

    P.S. If you would like more information about resources that can help Missourians, or what I am doing in the Senate on your behalf, please sign up for my email newsletter at http://mccaskill.senate.gov.
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

  2. #2
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Shame on the Republican Party in Missouri for running a loser against Claire in the last election! She had no chance of winning unless we handed it to her...which we did!

  3. #3
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    So, not only is your Senator trying to screw you out of your guns... She voted to screw up your (and everyone else's) healthcare!!
    Bill Davis

  4. #4
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    IMO ,they have it backwards ,they should be considering gun control and acting on the mental instabilities of the public and not in that order.

    Look at the big picture, if you look at the Colorado shooting ,Sandy Hook and Boston ,what is the common theme ? IT AINT GUNS ,IT CRAZIES. and those are just 3 of the high profile incidents in recent American history.

    Bill ,we are seeing the Obama care fall apart every day little by little ,workers cut to part time is not a step in the right direction to fix the economy.

    These are things even an uneducated redneck like myself can see.
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

  5. #5
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Myself I think she is trying to blow smoke up me arse.

    You got that right, Shawn! She wants your vote, but will refuse to vote for what YOU believe in. Purely a D.C. POLITICO.

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  6. #6
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    Don't blame the POTUS....why don't you put blame where blame is due...the insurers, doctors, healthcare providers and drug companies. This transition is going to have some pain because you are messing with powerful companies and lobbies with lots of money, and they have public opinion blaming the president.

    In texas Perry did away with state funded metal health. Lots guns floating around Texas and now more crazies.

    Those tax cuts aren't worth much if some crazy comes in and shoots your a#s off.

  7. #7
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Don't blame the POTUS....why don't you put blame where blame is due...the insurers, doctors, healthcare providers and drug companies. This transition is going to have some pain because you are messing with powerful companies and lobbies with lots of money, and they have public opinion blaming the president.

    In texas Perry did away with state funded metal health. Lots guns floating around Texas and now more crazies.

    Those tax cuts aren't worth much if some crazy comes in and shoots your a#s off.
    Lets see... The two big mass shootings recently by nutcase's were in libs states. CO and MA. Both with plenty of gun control laws. This isn't about controlling guns or nutcase's... It's about controlling the general population.
    Bill Davis

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Don't blame the POTUS....why don't you put blame where blame is due...the insurers, doctors, healthcare providers and drug companies. This transition is going to have some pain because you are messing with powerful companies and lobbies with lots of money, and they have public opinion blaming the president.

    In texas Perry did away with state funded metal health. Lots guns floating around Texas and now more crazies.

    Those tax cuts aren't worth much if some crazy comes in and shoots your a#s off.
    Menmon, when you make such statements, it is hard to be polite but I will try. First I will start with a question for which I do have some experience. WHY do you blame the doctors?

    Next a few facts.
    1. There are already more than 16,000 pages of Obamacare rules and regulations. There should be a lottery as to when it surpasses the income tax code of over 70,000 pages.
    2. There will be now more than 100,000 treatment codes a doctor has to deal with. Examples, patient bitten by a Boxer, 8 didget code. Patient runs into Boxer another 8 didget code. Patient run into by boxer, another 8 didget code. Even YOU should get the idea.
    3. Estimated cost of converting Computer system to Obamacare for a sole practitioner over $80,000.
    4. Miss code treatment and you may just get off with a delay in payment but may be subject to a fine or imprisonment.
    5. Gov. pays when it wants to. You think that a doctor will be able to sue the gov. should it choose not to pay, or has to wait 6 or more months to be paid??
    6. You may think that doctors in general don't give a damn about patients now and that I would strongly dissagree. But you very may be correct once this TOTAL MESS is implemented.

    Like almost all doctors, dentists, and even my staff, I have many times missed lunch, dinner, social engagements, and my son's ball games due to having to stay at office and treat patients. I ALWAYS thought that went with the job. With this fiasco, I for one will will not believe it goes with the job anymore.

  9. #9
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Menmon, when you make such statements, it is hard to be polite but I will try. First I will start with a question for which I do have some experience. WHY do you blame the doctors?

    Next a few facts.
    1. There are already more than 16,000 pages of Obamacare rules and regulations. There should be a lottery as to when it surpasses the income tax code of over 70,000 pages.
    2. There will be now more than 100,000 treatment codes a doctor has to deal with. Examples, patient bitten by a Boxer, 8 didget code. Patient runs into Boxer another 8 didget code. Patient run into by boxer, another 8 didget code. Even YOU should get the idea.
    3. Estimated cost of converting Computer system to Obamacare for a sole practitioner over $80,000.
    4. Miss code treatment and you may just get off with a delay in payment but may be subject to a fine or imprisonment.
    5. Gov. pays when it wants to. You think that a doctor will be able to sue the gov. should it choose not to pay, or has to wait 6 or more months to be paid??
    6. You may think that doctors in general don't give a damn about patients now and that I would strongly dissagree. But you very may be correct once this TOTAL MESS is implemented.

    Like almost all doctors, dentists, and even my staff, I have many times missed lunch, dinner, social engagements, and my son's ball games due to having to stay at office and treat patients. I ALWAYS thought that went with the job. With this fiasco, I for one will will not believe it goes with the job anymore.
    My experiences with doctors are to always be refered to a specialist for test that the family practioner already knows the problem...then the specialist runs more test or takes more images then refers to another specialist that wants more test and images. End result, problem not solved, so return to family practioner. Lot of money made over my small problem.

    Anybody that works for a living misses personal engagements. As a farmer, I didn't have time for personal engagements, and my sacrifice did not earn me the revenue that a doctor does who has days off. As and investment banker, I never saw my son, but at least I was compensated for it. I'm sure the electrician that fixed my power line last night didn't tuck his children into bed either, and I'm sure his compensation does not come close to the compensation of a doctor. So no pitty for doctor doing his job.

    All the doctors I know have high lifestyles so shouldn't it be right for them to have to work to have them.

    The old system is not good and maybe this one will put us on a direction of providing healthcare for everyone as oppose to making sure a few can live in luxury.

  10. #10
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Lets see... The two big mass shootings recently by nutcase's were in libs states. CO and MA. Both with plenty of gun control laws. This isn't about controlling guns or nutcase's... It's about controlling the general population.
    I'm not talking about gun control....I'm talking about healthcare and not providing healthcare to the mentally ill does not bold well for keeping guns out of the hands of sick people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •