The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Non collar trainers, what do you do when you get a no-go?

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I use an e-collar, dog gets a nick and resent for the mark or blind. I'm wondering what noncollar users do when the dog fails to go. A no-go on a blind in an AKC event gets you DQ'ed, but how do you explain to a dog how costly a no-go is if you don't use a collar?

Tennis shoers, UKers and Clickerers, what say you?

Thanks!
    Throw the clicker at him or her.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    Throw the clicker at him or her.
    They don't go very far, I tried it...You'd have to get a really heavy one

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I use an e-collar, dog gets a nick and resent for the mark or blind. I'm wondering what noncollar users do when the dog fails to go. A no-go on a blind in an AKC event gets you DQ'ed, but how do you explain to a dog how costly a no-go is if you don't use a collar?

Tennis shoers, UKers and Clickerers, what say you?

Thanks!
    The few that arrive here and are 'no-goers' for training using non collar methods, I have taught them to 'run in'.
    Never had one of my own in 30 years have that problem/issue, but then they all were retrieving game not long after the milk was dry.

Even then, they retrieved on the hoof with a bit of Go Go Go blindly !
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

What about when you say "back" and they no-go while giving you this look? Do you throw the clicker at them KJ?

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    The few that arrive here and are 'no-goers' for training using non collar methods, I have taught them to 'run in'.
    Never had one of my own in 30 years have that problem/issue, but then they all were retrieving game not long after the milk was dry.

Even then, they retrieved on the hoof with a bit of Go Go Go blindly !
    What do you mean by "run-in"?
    Renee P

Paul that is funny.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by notes View Post
    So, what would you non collar trainers recommend for training material? I have been using Sporting Dog and Rteriever Training the Wildrose Way. Been working good for me just wondering what everyone recommends. Went to a local club and told them what material I was using and was left standing alone.
    Robert Milner. Duckhill Kennels. A great forum too, nice folks. Lots of good information from like minded trainers.

I had a dog that was sent for a short retired bird and overran it into the edge of a treeline. Waited a good long time for her to come out of the trees. Judges and I were waiting for her to appear, looking way out three to four hundred yards. After the longest wait in recorded time (at least to me), I yelled at her to "get in here". She popped out of the treeline where she had been sitting for the whole time. I had absolutely no clue why she did it.

The next week she won the Am and qualified for the National Amateur. They are just dogs.

I judged Dewey the first trial he ran after his National Open win. He never picked up the flier. They are just dogs.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    The diff in +r only world is that the dog always chooses the correct (or incorrect) behavior. He never "has" to do anything. The objective is to condition behaviors so fully that they make the right choices in any and all situation under any and all levels of distraction.

It's a REALLY tall order.
    I agree. It seems like training without the collar would be much less efficient. We are all trying to habituate certain responses, and it seems like the combination of teach - force - reinforce is a much more efficient and fair process when you have the collar available as a tool in that process.

So what do you tell a person with a dog who says they want the dog to handle, they have difficulty finding time to train the dog consistently, and they don't want to use an e-collar? Besides good luck, of course.

BTW, I certainly don't look down on anyone who trains sans collar. In fact, I admire you for having that kind of time and for making that kind of commitment of your time to train your dog that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    What about when you say "back" and they no-go while giving you this look? Do you throw the clicker at them KJ?

Paul,that is classic!!!! Love it!!!!!! Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff