The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking baseball diagram

Don't spend the big $ for the Walter's book just for the diagram of Walking Baseball. It's plain not worth that kind of money.

I don't want to say it's a worthless drill. Most dogs like it and I guess it will get them taking better casts, but I really don't think it's necessary for most dogs. I've done it a little but don't see any advantage to it over other casting drills.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Don't spend the big $ for the Walter's book just for the diagram of Walking Baseball. It's plain not worth that kind of money.

I don't want to say it's a worthless drill. Most dogs like it and I guess it will get them taking better casts, but I really don't think it's necessary for most dogs. I've done it a little but don't see any advantage to it over other casting drills.
    The fact that it's a 1 man drill makes it usefull for a lot of folks who don't always have a group or a good helper.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Well, I train alone and don't use it. What casting drill takes a helper? Not that I'd do it see the first sentence. To me a casting drill is just me, my dog and 5 piles of bumpers. You reinforce the casts by keeping to literal casts in training.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

There are several types of useful casting drills, some of which require either a helper, or launcher. I find ways of making most of them helpful. Walking Baseball is highly versatile, and can have an element of suction if it's done right. Very good drill for those who train alone. I still believe most trainers who use WBB don't really do it as it was designed. I credit D.L. with a simple but brilliant design.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

As a new trainer that is learning the game, I can see a great deal of value with WBB. It not only helps the dog, but it has helped me learn how to handle my dog.

Wolters vs,. Walters. Now that's funny. One or both of them are spinning in their graves at the comparison.

As to the book being pricey for just the diagram, I agree. But there is so much more to that book. It is a complete program for teaching dogs to line and handle. It is also a glimpse into dog training history. The edition I have is pre-collar. Instead they use slingshots, BB and shotguns along with a particularly nasty little whip used by a hidden helper. Makes the collar look good.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him.” — Gene Hill

Does any one have a better picture of the drill or know of an online video that shows a good example. Will end up doing a lot of training alone and would like to see an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post

Just curious, what other drills do you use or think is better?

We run Walking Baseball often, at least once a week.
    I try to incorporate at least 2 of each cast when we run it.
    We do this when we train alone, it sharpens up casting, front square sit and team work.
    We run at varying distances and angles.
    Don't need much equipment either, just 2 bumpers & a field.
    Elvis loves to run it.

JMO
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    Does any one have a better picture of the drill or know of an online video that shows a good example. Will end up doing a lot of training alone and would like to see an example.
    Here's a glimpse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcktsyHLTYk

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile