The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking baseball diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Very generous, Evan! Thanks for posting that link!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Don't spend the big $ for the Walter's book just for the diagram of Walking Baseball. It's plain not worth that kind of money.

I don't want to say it's a worthless drill. Most dogs like it and I guess it will get them taking better casts, but I really don't think it's necessary for most dogs. I've done it a little but don't see any advantage to it over other casting drills.
    I did it with my first dog long ago, it was okay, but as my exposure to better trainers (both pros and ams) I've gotten into the same mind set as Howard.

And I truly believe running cold blinds is more productive than running a ton of drills...you just have to adjust your expectations as the dog is learning and slowly increase standards.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    Wolters vs,. Walters. Now that's funny. One or both of them are spinning in their graves at the comparison.

As to the book being pricey for just the diagram, I agree. But there is so much more to that book. It is a complete program for teaching dogs to line and handle. It is also a glimpse into dog training history. The edition I have is pre-collar. Instead they use slingshots, BB and shotguns along with a particularly nasty little whip used by a hidden helper. Makes the collar look good.
    LOL! Yes I know that is a terrible mistake to make. But for sure I meant DL. And to Howard, no way would I buy it at these prices for just that one drill. I really got more out of this whole book than just about any source with my first dog. Bach Doar told me that DL was totally dissatisfied with the way the WBB diagram came out. He just could not get it down on paper. Evan's video link here is very good, but unfortunately I have to shrink it down to fit the small spaces I mostly inhabit.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Webbs515 View Post
    Just curious, what other drills do you use or think is better?

Here's about the only casting drill I do with my older dogs. I copied and pasted what I've written in the past on this drill. It's been posted on the RTF a few times so some will be pretty bored with it. The only other casting drill I do is/are the baseball drills that I do in basics with the puppies.

I do this every couple of weeks with my older dogs in different places My transition level early advanced dogs get this drill sometime after the double T four or five times a week at the same place until they're smooth. I then move it to other places with the little guys. With the old dogs I believe it keeps casting sharp and gives me an over when I need it. I line to each pile first and then cast. Mostly on featureless fields but also sometimes where there's cover and some terrain. I didn't make this drill up I stole it fair and square from Jim Gonia. No one drill keeps a high casting standard, you have to reinforce good casts in the field. This drill just ensures in my mind that the dog knows what the casts are so when they don't do it on an actual blind, I can make a fair correction.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard gave me this drill a couple of years ago and it is brilliant. It is amazing that I have never had a dog complete it perfectly even the titled ones!
    If you play their game train the way they train

It seems the take away message in a lot of these casting/lining discussions, is that all the drills work! They were all designed (and at some point) used by a successful someone to successfully develop a dog to a very high level. It seems the specific drill, is more a function of what the handler enjoys running, and what they read their dog gains benefit from. The important thing is to practice, practice, practice! The best way to improve casting/handling is to practice casting/handling!

I have a 10 month old that I have been running WBB with. I really enjoy running it, and my pup seems to really enjoy it, and learn from it. I like the fact that it is not a static position type drill, and offers the flexability and versatility to add different factors, terrain and distances to cast and distances to carry casts...all within the same session. I'v read DL's book, but Evan's DVD for $12 is the best explanation I've seen of WBB.

On a side note, I ran an impromptu, shortened version of Howard's drill this morning, and see it as a very useful drill as well. Will definately be running the full length version, and incorporate it into our training. Thanks for sharing Howard!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Here's about the only casting drill I do with my older dogs. I copied and pasted what I've written in the past on this drill. It's been posted on the RTF a few times so some will be pretty bored with it. The only other casting drill I do is/are the baseball drills that I do in basics with the puppies.

I do this every couple of weeks with my older dogs in different places My transition level early advanced dogs get this drill sometime after the double T four or five times a week at the same place until they're smooth. I then move it to other places with the little guys. With the old dogs I believe it keeps casting sharp and gives me an over when I need it. I line to each pile first and then cast. Mostly on featureless fields but also sometimes where there's cover and some terrain. I didn't make this drill up I stole it fair and square from Jim Gonia. No one drill keeps a high casting standard, you have to reinforce good casts in the field. This drill just ensures in my mind that the dog knows what the casts are so when they don't do it on an actual blind, I can make a fair correction.
    Thanks for posting this Howard. I'm going to try it.
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Thanks for posting this Howard. I'm going to try it.
    Have you seen the handling patterns of D.L. Walters, which have a strong resemblance to this one? Very similar principles.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Have you seen the handling patterns of D.L. Walters, which have a strong resemblance to this one? Very similar principles.

Evan
    . Meow! Too bad that Lardy guy won't go away and stop selling his training program.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Howard, I am a little confused as to how you run this. You mention lining the dogs first, and then casting. So are you stopping them midway to one pile and sending them to another? Or are you just sitting the dog facing you somewhere in the middle and casting from the line? Sorry, I must have missed the first go round. Thanks for posting.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com