The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Walking baseball diagram

Howard,

After you line the piles, are you about 10 yards +/- from the dog while doing the casting portion of this drill? Thanks for the clarification.

Damon Sweep

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    . Meow! Too bad that Lardy guy won't go away and stop selling his training program.
    Which has what to do with anything? They're in D.L.'s book, previously discussed in this thread. It has nothing to do with me, or what I teach. Very helpful.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by dlsweep View Post
    Howard,

After you line the piles, are you about 10 yards +/- from the dog while doing the casting portion of this drill? Thanks for the clarification.

Damon Sweep
    Yup, there are two dark lines drawn on the diagram. I line each pile from the close one, sit the dog and go ~10 yards away and then cast to a pile, receive the dog from where he was sent and then rinse and repeat to another pile. I do not stop and cast to another pile once they are going to the pile I cast them to. I want precise LONG casts from the dog, so I don't do anything that in my mind might encourage a dig back. You can line and cast to the piles in any order you want. With young dogs, I like to do all the left (or right) hand casts and then do all the right (or left casts if I did right casts first) hand casts. There's a lot of suction in this drill and it takes my pups a couple of weeks to get all the casts right. Then it takes at least a week in a new place for them to get all the casts right in the new place. In time they get it in different places much quicker. Bam and Missy have both gone to a new place and taken all the casts right the first time, but you can't depend on it, which is why I still do it with the old dogs.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Which has what to do with anything? They're in D.L.'s book, previously discussed in this thread. It has nothing to do with me, or what I teach. Very helpful.

Evan
    The fact is, that everything that you have in your information is stuff that came from other people. There is nothing original. And when you have tweaked different drills I find that they are only lead to confusion for a new person. Which only creates more questions. But you always have a video or something to fix that, don't you?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

The fact is...
    You really don't know anything about my program. That's a fact.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

you signature quote from Mark Twain just about explains it all Mr Graham. Your program is great, but someone always has to be the party pooper.

For an end of transition dog, during the first few times running this drill would you recall for a PIL?

How about a bad cast? Would you: Recall, sit nick sit, use attrition giving literal casts and work it out?

Thanks for the constructive dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    You really don't know anything about my program. That's a fact.

Evan
    Well Bless your heart. You obviously haven't gone through your old receipts to see that I have actually purchased some of your stuff. I stopped. I also have looked at much of the rest. And I have done a thorough comparison of Smartworks vs. TRT. I have stopped looking at Smart works because of all the questions it creates. You see countless questions on this board, and at one location I train where people use Smartworks. It's really a system of drills, which newbies tend to like.

Originally Posted by Howard N

Don't spend the big $ for the Walter's book just for the diagram of Walking Baseball. It's plain not worth that kind of money.

I don't want to say it's a worthless drill. Most dogs like it and I guess it will get them taking better casts, but I really don't think it's necessary for most dogs. I've done it a little but don't see any advantage to it over other casting drills.
    I did it with my first dog long ago, it was okay, but as my exposure to better trainers (both pros and ams) I've gotten into the same mind set as Howard.

And I truly believe running cold blinds is more productive than running a ton of drills...you just have to adjust your expectations as the dog is learning and slowly increase standards.

FOM
    FOM's comment hits the nail on the head. As you learn more, you get away from doing drill after drill after drill. You only need "key drills"... not a mountain of them.

I didn't sell the Smartworks or give it away, because that would be hypocritical when i can't in my heart of hearts recommend the program.

...but someone always has to be the party pooper.
    And yes, it's too bad when someone has to come on RTF and take a cheap shot at an SUCCESSFUL amateur who posts free knowledge and advice with no expectations for anything - not a sale of goods or services, no name dropping of dead people where relationships purportedly cannot be verified, and not even an expectation of a thank you. It is this kind of thing that has caused some really good amateurs to stop posting training advice. RTF is not half the resource it used to be.
    Susan

Well Bless your heart. You obviously haven't gone through your old receipts to see that I have actually purchased some of your stuff. I stopped. I also have looked at much of the rest. And I have done a thorough comparison of Smartworks vs. TRT. I have stopped looking at Smart works because of all the questions it creates. You see countless questions on this board, and at one location I train where people use Smartworks. It's really a system of drills, which newbies tend to like.

FOM's comment hits the nail on the head. As you learn more, you get away from doing drill after drill after drill. You only need "key drills"... not a mountain of them.

I didn't sell the Smartworks or give it away, because that would be hypocritical when i can't in my heart of hearts recommend the program.

And yes, it's too bad when someone has to come on RTF and take a cheap shot at an SUCCESSFUL amateur who posts free knowledge and advice with no expectations for anything - not a sale of goods or services, no name dropping of dead people where relationships purportedly cannot be verified, and not even an expectation of a thank you. It is this kind of thing that has caused some really good amateurs to stop posting training advice. RTF is not half the resource it used to be.

Really? There are a lot of good people and advisors on RTF. A lot, actually. If there have been those who don't participate anymore, I'd say it's more likely because it gets tiresome to keep repeating the same knowledge or that they're just plain tired. And less because there are newbies who stand up for people who are getting bullied.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    [/B]

Really? There are a lot of good people and advisors on RTF. A lot, actually. If there have been those who don't participate anymore, I'd say it's more likely because it gets tiresome to keep repeating the same knowledge or that they're just plain tired. And less because there are newbies who stand up for people who are getting bullied.
    Jennifer- You have been on RTF for a year. you have no idea about the people with true knowledge who used to post here, and why they no longer do. And no, there are not "a lot" who participate here anymore. There used to be "a lot" who participated at Howard's level ie: field champions that have gotten national dance cards. There aren't anymore. They have gotten tired of support of those who do not deserve it. It has nothing to do with repeating information. It's how they are treated when it's given.

Try to name 12 people who regularly post on RTF any longer who have a field champion or amateur field champion. Then go back and look about 5 years. If I have a training question, RTF is not the place I come to post the question any longer.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 05-03-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    Susan