The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Breeder Question: Full or Limited Registration?

Default New Breeder Question: Full or Limited Registration?

I'd like to pick other breeder's brains a bit. I have stuggled trying to decide whether to sell puppies with a full registration or a limited registration.

What is your policy and what is your reasoning behind it?

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

swack,
    i like this question, it should get interesting responses. btw i am not a breeder but i have bought most pups with full registration and two with "conditional" limited registration.(meaning there were certain requirements to meet in order to obtain full registration) i did not object to the limited registration on my pups because the requirements to obtain full registration were not unreasonable.

good luck with your decision and your breeding!
    jmc
    john mccallie

I sell with limited registration and set reasonable expectations to have it revoked (health clearances and a basic title).

It eliminates people who think that they can buy a girl, breed her, and make a few bucks. The people who care about the breed and are interested in doing it right are fine with the limited registration.

I won't buy one with a limited.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie B View Post
    I sell with limited registration and set reasonable expectations to have it revoked (health clearances and a basic title).

It eliminates people who think that they can buy a girl, breed her, and make a few bucks. The people who care about the breed and are interested in doing it right are fine with the limited registration.

Define your basic title ... FC ,QAA Mh, top notch gun dog , excellent family pet, service dog ?
    Sorry ,you generalize to many people into that group to have any kind of ground to stand on.

I would be considered a buyer at this time in this thread , and IMO unless you want 3/4 of the cost I'm not willing to buy 3/4 of the dog ,which includes registration. With that said ,I do understand the point of limited registration on a per buyer basis. If you have FC X FC and want a very reasonable price ,but with limited registarion,myself I'm not interested because I still have a "zoo keeper" to answer to as to what I can do with my dog that I paid for.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I won't buy one with a limited.
    I agree with Howard.....

I'll pay the breeder what they want and after that I own the dog.

When I was breeding dogs they all had full registration and written guarantees...

The OP asked for reasoning too.. Reason being the buyer bought the pup and they bought the right to do with it as they please. (of course within the law)
    Last edited by Rnd; 04-29-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: capitalized "i"
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I have never raised and sold litters. If I ever do I would like to see the puppies go to working homes. Titles would be nice but I'd be just as happy seeing the puppies go to loving homes and being nothing but hunting machines. That being said, I would sell the puppies with full registration. I have never bought a puppy with limited registration and don't intend to.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Well, responses you get on this question will likely vary by breed.

Limited Registration is common with Golden Retrievers and has been for quite some time. The same is true for many other non-labrador breeds. It is normal for those of us who own "Exotics" to see limited registrations, it is abnormal to see full registrations offered unless the breeder is well acquainted with you.

I hear you Howard I kind of miss the old days when I could plunk down the asking price on a pup and from that point on, all decisions were mine alone to make without somebody looking over my shoulder so to speak. It's still the "wild wild west" with Labradors. Enjoy the freedom while it lasts.

Most of mine sell on limited, with that being lifted once they've turned two and have all the appropriate clearances. The exception would be someone I know and that I can trust will be competing the dog....and they have a history of competition. Those folks get full registration straight away. The vast majority of my pups go to hunting homes and won't be competing or running hunt tests, so their owners don't care about limited. I have done, just on the registration papers, a co-ownership, for a new person that intends to show the dog. It's on paper only. This allows the dog to compete in the ring, yet they can't register pups until I sign off once the dog is two and has the required clearances.
    My reasoning? I don't want any of my pups to end up in a puppy mill. I had one close call that way and that was enough.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Like Sharon I sell puppies with a limited registration with the option of turning that into full registration after the age of 2 and health clearances are obtained. I also ask that there be some kind of title on the dog but will make exceptions for hunting homes or field trial homes. I just want to know that if the dog is bred that they get health clearances and it is not just sitting in someone's backyard waiting to get old enough to make puppies. I really don't feel like I'm asking that much. All it takes is an email to me. I can look on the computer and see if they their health clearances and any titles. It's not hard for either party. I do all the paperwork.

I guess I care about the puppies I produce enough to make sure, as much as I can, that things are done right.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home