The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New Breeder Question: Full or Limited Registration?

Puppy purchase contracts...reckon how many of these:

1. Were drafted by an attorney;
    2. Are enforceable;
    3. Contain language that is ambiguous.

The few that I have viewed contained major legal loopholes. Have any of you EVER been a party to a legal action envolving your written guarantee?

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I'm into my own lines 6 generations now and I still have been known to go back to a stud owner for suggestions on breeding the pup that came from their stud,

How long is a generation? Just curious.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I will be glad to furnish to the breeder the names of everyone I have ever bought a pup from. That is fair. I want pups from a breeder that places responsibly. However, I will not buy on limited registration.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Does Mary Howley insist that you use the Candlewood name when registering your dog when you purchase a pup ?
    No. She gave me permission to use her kennel name, and sold with full registration. She said that she doesn't like to buy things with strings attached and wouldn't expect other people to either. She also had no problem selling to a guy that knew nothing about the games but wanted the best hunting dog possible.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I'm into my own lines 6 generations now and I still have been known to go back to a stud owner for suggestions on breeding the pup that came from their stud,

How long is a generation? Just curious.

John,
    What is the interval between you and your parents? Or you and your children (if you have any kids). That is one GENERATION. For my Labs, that interval is anywhere from 3-7 (at the most) years. So really, 6 generations could be done in 18 yrs here. At most, well, that's not yet determined.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just wondered if it's 25 years in people is it 2-3 years for dogs, or 3-7.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I won't buy one with a limited.
    X2, neither would I

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Also you cant show a dog with a limited registration.

Convinced me right there.......
    HRCH Wind River's Frisky Whisky SH WCX - Thanx for the memories my friend
    HRCH UH Red Devil's Risky Rascal WCX
    HR Red Devil's Wild Wind River
    SHR Red Devil's Ready Freddie
    SHR Red Devil's Lambeau Leap
    SHR YRP Grand Chien's Chase the Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Just wondered if it's 25 years in people is it 2-3 years for dogs, or 3-7.
    How about 2 to 5? For physiological reasons, I wouldn't favor breeding a girl later than 5; probably prefer around 3. For males, they may not attract attention until they are around 5 and have begun to show their mature capabilities; though some might be precocious and show solid promise earlier.

I have 8 generations (#8 is 3-1/2 now) ... with the first generation whelped in 1979 ... that would be 34 years ... so each generation works out to be about 4 years. That's only breeding mostly about once/year; sometimes longer between breedings. Might have had more generations, if I had not had to start over with new genes after one litter in 1971. But some failures like that can also factor into the generation span.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Just wanted to wrap a ribbon around this thread and thank you all for your strongly felt opinions!

In the original post on this thread I said that I had struggled with this issue in my own mind. I can see both sides presented.

I believe I will continue to sell puppies with full registrations unless there is a good reason one should not be bred (like a puppy I sold years ago with a limited registration because the vet ophthalmologist found some retinal folds).

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer