The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Breeder Question: Full or Limited Registration?

I sell all my pups on limited which--if the buyer is interested--can be changed to full with health clearances and at least a JH or a CD.

I just purchased a pup--first time in many, many years that I have bought a pup (rather than a started dog). The breeder does the same as I do. She offered me full, and I told her I am fine with limited because I am more than willing to get health clearances and title before full reg.

If a potential buyer is unsure, I can refer them to clients who have purchased on limited and changed to full.

Meredith

Doesn't it vary not only by breed, but also with bench vs field in Labs?
    Tom Dorroh

I personally would not buy on limited, but that's me.

I do understand why some only sell limited, but it's not my cup of tea.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I can understand the reasoning that you are saying in getting the health Clearances. The intentions are good. Having said that, I would not buy a limited registered pup. I pay, it's mine to do what I want with.... I have enough big brother in my life telling me, what, how and when to do something.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

I personally never have or never will buy a pup with limited registration... You can be selective with your perspective puppy buyers without going the limited registration route...

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    Docheno's Raising A Ruckus "Ruckus"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I personally would not buy on limited, but that's me.

I do understand why some only sell limited, but it's not my cup of tea.
    We are in the same boat...but when we did buy from breeders like Sharon V. (Pekisko) and Dr Tatum (Watermark) we were more than happy to carry on their kennel names, although they did not require it, I wish all breeders were as nice as they were, because they always wanted to know long after how their babies were..now that is classy

We sold Nola's litters with full registration...

But I fully understand those breeders that choose to sell limited, and hold no ill feelings toward them
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

We sell all of our pups on limited registration. After age 2, if the pup has all health clearences and no physical disqualifications, we will lift the limited registration and grant full registration.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

I do understand the "I buy it, it's mine" and I won't buy on Limited myself, because, given my track record, if I can't establish a trustworthy relationship with the breeder in that regard, we aren't going anywhere together. Do people go back to their breeders with questions or problems, who's the first one gets blamed if there's a problem with pup? Then yeah, if one expects customer service or breeder accountability, one needs to hold up their end as well. It isn't pay for the pup and walk out the door, never to communicate again, (but oh how easy that would be for the breeder!), it's a two-way street. Limited Registration is a screening tool and a way to try to ensure if someone does breed, they do some health clearances. Also used to place a dog that shouldn't be bred for some reason but isn't appropriate for spay/neuter. Of course breeders aren't going to rule out performance people and anyone else with some kind of verifiable track record, like dogs on OFA or they've got entries on EE or whatever the venue of choice, that's a whole different ballgame. Limited Reg works for the average Joe hunter/companion, the unknown, the unproven, it's a tool to start the discussion and to weed out some liars and con artists. Yes, it can be argued that if I trust someone enough to place a pup, I should trust them to breed. Well, crap happens and a lot of crap can happen in a few years. With Limited Reg, they get reminded to contact their breeder about clearances, maybe get some help, etc. If something happens, divorce, job loss, they don't return dog to breeder, dog gets sold or given to someone who thinks they're going to make a quick buck off some pups, lo and behold, they need to contact the breeder if they want those pups AKC registered. It is not foolproof, not for everyone, but Limited Reg has its place and its uses. It isn't just something breeders do to be control freaks and holier than thou's, or to control the competition in the marketplace. I didn't use it for a long time, didn't believe in it, until you get burned, feel sick to your stomach, angry, and decide to try to prevent it happening again. No puppy contract is going to be iron-clad, Limited Reg is about all I have in the toolbox in that regard.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

The first dog I owned and trained myself I bought when I was sixteen. I didn't know about health clearances and bought the best dog i could afford. At age 4 he developed hip problems. The money I spent on the cost of the puppy didnt hurt near as bad as the loss of all the blood sweat and time into making a good retriever. Clearances on the parents do not prevent this from happening but it has to help. I sold all my puppies with limited registration. All I require is to have hips,eyes and elbows done prior to breeding. This is to help protect other people from the same problems i have had. Not everyone in the world are as responsible or knowledgable on this as most of are. Limited regestration keeps them more responsible. I do also see the point if you own a dog you should be able to do what you wish with it and it should be no concern to me after I sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I won't buy one with a limited.
    Agree and am putting together a couple of titled bitches to breed in the future. I won't sell with limited either. If I think there is a chance of indiscriminate breeding, maybe I'm naive and will have half a litter left over but... I won't sell to that owner.
    Darrin Greene