The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Breeder Question: Full or Limited Registration?

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Limited till they get their health clearances? Dang people must not be to confidant in the pups they are selling.
    I'm quite confident in mine. And because I give a solid guarantee (and I back it up) and make sure the dogs I breed have clearances...and I guarantee the pups will be able to have the same or will be replaced by me...I want to make sure that anyone wanting to breed from stock they bought from me have done the same things they expected from me when they bought the pup. Anything is possible...even two dogs with OFA Excellent hips have a 3.75 percent chance of producing a pup that won't pass OFA. And if one of those should occur, I will replace it...but I want to make sure that pup does not get bred since the incidence of hip dysplasia increases significantly if bad hips are bred.

Would you buy a pup from parents with no clearances? And would you breed dogs without clearances?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    What would happen if something happened to the breeder before there was time to complete the tests and get the titles? For that reason I would not buy a puppy on a limited registration if I even thought that I someday want a pup from him/her.
    My estate (ROFLMAO...what estate?? ) is set up so that power of attorney is passed on for those purposes.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

There are some very reasonable arguments on both sides! It seems to be tough to find the balance between "if you buy something, you have freedom to do with it as you please" and "I don't want just anything done with the dog, in regard to breedings, that could hurt the breed or my kennel name." Both seem valid!

In addition though, and I know people can lie and do lie, but this seems like all the more reason to do detailed screenings on buyers. In our culture, it doesn't seem that peoples' word is worth as much as it used to be, but it is still important to ask tough questions of the buyer before sending the pup home. Prevention is always better than correction.
    -Barton Ramsey

I don't think it does anybody any good.

Sure, there are some well-intended Breeders that use it for the "right" reasons. But, there are also at least as many Breeders that just use it for leverage.

And a limited registration doesn't do a damn thing to keep a dirtbag from Breeding a dog that "shouldn't" be bred.
    They can register through APRI, or Con KC, and their buyers don't know the difference. Nor do they even care.

Or, they can just go for the big bucks, and start producing Labradoodles, Goldendoodles, Chesadors, or whatever.

It's a people problem.
    The system's only as good as the people that respect and value it. You can't enforce honesty or integrity through regulation.

Or stupidity? Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Short of running a background check on each potential buyer, and interviewing their neighbors, veterinarians, etc. there is no way to know for sure whether a buyer will follow through with what is promised...even friends can sometimes have circumstances that change the dynamic.

Limited gives some protection to the dog, owner and kennel that only dogs physically/genetically sound will be bred. Does it take care of the idiots who will breed and sell pups "not papered" or breed designer dogs? No, but it seems to thin them out a bit.

The majority of my pups go into hunting homes. According to AKC, 40% of owners from my last three litters have not registered their pups at all. So they are willing to purchase pups from me because of the health clearances, soundness and care taken in the breedings.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I won't buy one with a limited.
    Me either. It's kind of like me going and buying a new truck and the dealer telling me not to haul anything in the bed of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Limited gives some protection to the dog, owner and kennel that only dogs physically/genetically sound will be bred.
    I really don't think it does.
    At all.

For every dirtbag it screens, it drops two responsible buyers, that would have done the right thing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I really don't think it does.
    At all.

For every dirtbag it screens, it drops two responsible buyers, that would have done the right thing anyway.
    How many years have you been breeding and how many litters have you bred, to come up with these numbers?
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    How many years have you been breeding and how many litters have you bred, to come up with these numbers?
    None.

That doesn't mean anything.

People are people. The things that bring your clients to your door, are the things that screen out the dirtbags. Our "world" is a very small one.

The overwhelming majority of the people buying Lab, Golden, or Chessie puppies, don't know the difference between EIC and NFC.
    The ones that do know the difference, care enough that they won't breed a dog that "shouldn't" be bred.