The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Breeder Question: Full or Limited Registration?

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    swack,
    i like this question, it should get interesting responses. good luck with your decision and your breeding!
    jmc
    i told you this would be good!
    john mccallie

Does Mary Howley insist that you use the Candlewood name when registering your dog when you purchase a pup ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Does Mary Howley insist that you use the Candlewood name when registering your dog when you purchase a pup ?
    Not directly addressing Candlewood. But it seems that there was a time when the kennel/breeder signed off giving one PERMISSION to use said name. NOT requiring that you use it.

The Kennel names were registered and protected, not forced as a purchase agreement..

No contract, handshake deal regards
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Have no idea if this is the case or not, but with a AKC registered Kennel Name, the registered owner of that name HAS to sign off/give permission on each registration form in order for the puppy buyer to use that name.
    This is different than 'requiring' or requesting it be used in your contract. The AKC really doesn't care what you request in your contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Not directly addressing Candlewood. But it seems that there was a time when the kennel/breeder signed off giving one PERMISSION to use said name. NOT requiring that you use it.

The Kennel names were registered and protected, not forced as a purchase agreement..

No contract, handshake deal regards

I'm with you Howard, when I buy one I buy all of it and I will not be told what I can name it, call it , feed it or if I am allowed to breed it. If you are buying one with limited registration you may want to reconsider just what you are buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I won't buy one with a limited.
    I agree with Howard.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

IMO when you buy a dog, you own the dogs and the rights to it. I would not purchase with a limited registration, even with no plans to breed.

I wont buy on a limited. I also dont sell on a limited. What happens if the breeder dies or something happens and you can get a hold of the breeder to get it lifted. the breeder I bought my dog from I was tryignto find them to tell them how good the has been but they went through some personal issues and their house burned down. I cant find them at all. That would have sucked if I bought my dog on a limited.

then people want to throw arond the arguement that once they get the titles and clearance they will lift the limited. So they trust you enought you take your money for the dog but not enough to be responsible.

Also you cant show a dog with a limited registration.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I really don't think it does.
    At all.

For every dirtbag it screens, it drops two responsible buyers, that would have done the right thing anyway.
    I agree. Personally, I won't even look at litters with limited registration..
    I also agree that limited registrations won't stop or deter puppy mills from breeding at all. They don't give a rats arse about the pups to begin with much less a piece of paper that their clientele doesn't have a clue about.

I only purchase puppies with full registration. I have done CERF and OFA on my older dog and will have the same tests performed on my others when they are old enough. If I choose to breed my dogs I think that it is MY decision and MY decision alone. If I do breed, I would like to sell the puppies to loving homes and hopefully to owners who will use the dogs for hunting, HT, etc. However, when someone pays me for a puppy and drives away with it, it is their baby and they can and will do with it as they please.

You can screen potential buyers, make them sign contracts, etc. but you cannot control the future. Someone who you think will be the perfect owner of one of "your" puppies could end up be a horrible owner.

I personally think many folks have a "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to breeding their dogs. After all how many of these breeders are geneticists? I would guess very, very few if ANY.

How many of these breeders considered the pedigree of their spouse before marrying and producing their own offspring?

Flame away.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 05-02-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).