The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Upland Flushing test

Default AKC Upland Flushing test

As July 2013 Labradors and Goldens will be allow to test for title in the Spaniel hunt test program.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    As July 2013 Labradors and Goldens will be allow to test for title in the Spaniel hunt test program.
    Do you have a link?

I knew that was coming.

They let Curlies and Flatties in last year.

We tried these tests in Jr, Sr, and Master last weekend with the curlies, had a great time!

How about Chessies?
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH

I don't have a link but here's the body of the letter sent to our Club:

Date: April 2013

To: Clubs Licensed to Hold Spaniel Hunting Tests

Subject: Labrador and Golden Retrievers Are Eligible to Participate in Spaniel Hunting Tests

The AKC Board has approved Labrador Retrievers and the Golden Retrievers to be eligible to participate in
    the Spaniel Hunting Test Program effective July 1, 2013. AKC Performance Events are meant to test the
    skills for which a breed was originally developed. The history of both the Labrador and Golden Retrievers
    indicates they were developed to be versatile hunting dogs, proficient in both upland and waterfowl
    hunting. Their upland heritage is still very much in use today as these breeds are commonly used for
    upland bird hunting.

The Hunting Test standards of performance are not being changed due to the inclusion of these breeds.
    Titles earned by Labs and Goldens will be designated with a “U” (for Upland) to indicate the title was
    earned in the Spaniel Hunting Test program. Hunting style descriptions for these breeds will be posted on
    the AKC website – http://www.akc.org/events/hunting_te...unting_styles/ - as soon as they are
    available. Retriever Clubs can apply to become licensed to hold Spaniel Hunting Tests after July 1, 2014.
    (One year following the breed’s eligibility to participate.)

If entries are limited to a specific number, Spaniel clubs may prioritize entries to the Spaniel breeds.
    Retriever clubs are also provided the ability to prioritize entries to the Retriever breeds.

Specifically the following will appear in Chapter 1, Section 4 of the Regulations upon the next reprint -
    Section 4. Tests Offered, Entry Requirements.
    Prioritizing Entries. If entries are limited to a specific number as stated in the premium, a Spaniel Club may, at its
    option, prioritize the entries for its Hunting Test to the Spaniel breeds (except the Irish Water Spaniel) plus Airedales. If
    at the time of closing the limit has not been reached, the Club must accept entries from other eligible breeds up to the
    event limit. If entries are to be prioritized to the Spaniel breeds (except the Irish Water Spaniel) and Airedales, this
    must be stated in the premium.
    If entries are limited to a specific number as stated in the premium, a Retriever Club may, at its option, prioritize the
    entries for its Hunting Test to the Retriever breeds plus the Irish Water Spaniel. If at the time of closing the limit has
    not been reached, the Club must accept entries from other eligible breeds up to the event limit. If entries are to be
    prioritized to the Retriever breeds and the Irish Water Spaniels, this must be stated in the premium.
    All-breed hunting clubs and Airedale clubs may not prioritize their entries (except in the case of a test held in
    conjunction with a National Specialty Show).
    A Spaniel Club is defined by the club having “Spaniel” in its name (except for the Irish Water Spaniel clubs). A
    Retriever Club is defined by the club having “Retriever” in its name plus the Irish Water Spaniel clubs.

Comments can be e-mailed to Huntingtest@akc.org.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

A unique characteristic of the spaniel hunt test is that every breed is judged against a different standard. A description of the breeds hunting style is submitted by each parent club & Judges are required to be familiar w/ them all & to judge accordingly.

http://classic.akc.org/events/huntin...ting_style.cfm

In essence this means that a Boykin spaniel could earn all 10’s with a performance that would fail a Springer.

I will be interested to see what the Labrador & Golden clubs submit. How would you define the hunting style? Would a “bold flush” be required or would you allow a hesitation or even a flash point? How would you describe the desired pace of each breed?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."

That would be interesting. My avatar dog is a flash pointer, where my younger Golden dives right in on the bird. I would live to run the upland spaniel tests with my retrievers. Hopefully they will have the hunting styles available soon.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

The Golden in my avatar was trained along side Springers since he was a pup. His flush was explosive, in fact he blew his ACL when he was 9 flushing a rooster at a club training day.

His hunting pace was like flowing water; not blistering like a Springer but much more graceful, almost setter like. When he made scent, the hackles on his shoulder would rise up & he’d drive in like a missile.

How I wish I’d been able to run him in this game.

Sweet -I'll be there.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon