The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tick & Flea Prevention

I love Advantix 2 for fleas! I have seen a couple ticks crawling & 2 latch, not sure if it kills them like the fleas or not.

Had fleas in the house 2 yrs ago while on frontline. Could NOT get rid of them. Finally, I put all the dogs on Advantix 2 and let them in the house. Within a week of letting them bite the dogs & die + vacuuming constantly, they were all gone
    -Barton Ramsey

Not sure about Advantix for ticks.

I put a fresh dose on my dogs 52 hours before going to tick land for a hunt test. Both dogs had ticks latch on and had others crawling around fur. Two weeks later, went back to tick land for a trial and both dogs had ticks latch. The fluffier dog had a total of 49 ticks. A lot of them were just in the fur, but many of them had begun to latch and seemed very lethargic as if affected by the Advantix. , but 3 were engorged.

No fleas hardly here, but no shortage of ticks. Frontline doesn't seem to help much. Dogs on Trifexis seem to do well and my problem tick attractors get Certifect and usually also wear a Preventic collar.

We had used Frontline on our Golden's for years, but had a dog come down with a tick related disease. We are switching to Vectra 3D, but my research indicates that none of these will stop tic's 100%. Therefore, and good inspection of the dog following any exposure to potential tic's is the best option, regardless of what you use. These tic born diseases are really dangerous and seem to be on the rise....

The fleas are becoming immune to the Frontline. “according to my vet and my own observation” I have used Frontline for years but it has stopped working for me.

With that said, my wife is a hippie/tree hugger. She comes home with this all “organic, chemical free, world in peace and harmony” spray called CedarCide. Im thinking yea right its going to love the fleas off my dog….. Well, turns out this is some BAD stuff. I can put it on my dog and watch the fleas fall off 10 sec. later. We now buy it by the quart and spray the dogs a few times a week. And no fleas or ticks, plus the dogs smell great “like a fresh cut cedar tree”. The oil makes there coat look shinny as well. I even used it on myself during turkey season this year to help with tick and chiggers.

Thanks,

Dustin

Vectra 3D and Iverhart Max

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    The fleas are becoming immune to the Frontline. “according to my vet and my own observation” I have used Frontline for years but it has stopped working for me.

With that said, my wife is a hippie/tree hugger. She comes home with this all “organic, chemical free, world in peace and harmony” spray called CedarCide. Im thinking yea right its going to love the fleas off my dog….. Well, turns out this is some BAD stuff. I can put it on my dog and watch the fleas fall off 10 sec. later. We now buy it by the quart and spray the dogs a few times a week. And no fleas or ticks, plus the dogs smell great “like a fresh cut cedar tree”. The oil makes there coat look shinny as well. I even used it on myself during turkey season this year to help with tick and chiggers.

Thanks,

Dustin
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that stuff. Someone mentioned it to me before - I'll have to try that. Does it work to spray in the truck, too? Or just on animals?

Last Year I used Frontline on my dogs for the first time because of fleas..but I thought I read that certain flea and tick topicals should not be used if you are dosing with Ivermectin for Heartworm....or was it not using the tick collars? does anyone know?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Not sure about Advantix for ticks.

I put a fresh dose on my dogs 52 hours before going to tick land for a hunt test. Both dogs had ticks latch on and had others crawling around fur. Two weeks later, went back to tick land for a trial and both dogs had ticks latch. The fluffier dog had a total of 49 ticks. A lot of them were just in the fur, but many of them had begun to latch and seemed very lethargic as if affected by the Advantix. , but 3 were engorged.
    Did you apply Advantix II on 4 places along the back of the dog? The company told me 50% of the people that use it apply it like Frontline. It needs to be applied in 4 spots.

I live in NJ/PA and have almost no issues with ticks using Advantix II, by far the best for me against ticks.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 05-02-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lennie View Post
    Last Year I used Frontline on my dogs for the first time because of fleas..but I thought I read that certain flea and tick topicals should not be used if you are dosing with Ivermectin for Heartworm....or was it not using the tick collars? does anyone know?
    No issues with Ivermectin and Frontline or Advantix that I know of...might be an issue with other oral products.