The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tick & Flea Prevention

I use Frontline almost year round, during the height of the tick season I apply every 3 weeks and it seems to work well. I tried Advantix but my dog had a reaction so I went back to the Frontline.

I use Advantix II for fleas/ticks on the girls and the Scalibor collar on the boys.

Meagan
    Alexander's Sweet Emma Jo
    "Emma" Born March 31, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJo11 View Post
    I use Advantix II for fleas/ticks on the girls and the Scalibor collar on the boys.

Meagan
    Can I ask why you use different products on each sex?
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee Strange View Post

Can I ask why you use different products on each sex?
    The boys always have collars on no matter what because if they get loose they won't come back (they are coyote hunting dogs) so I want the extra security of having my name and number on them. So they get a collar since they already have to wear collars.
    I let the girls go naked allot because they won't run off and I don't like the way the collars muss up the hair on the neck.
    Doesn't have anything at all to do with the sex I just happen to have two girls and two boys and normally that's how I refer to them if I talk about more than one of them.

Meagan

I heard about the new collar out by Bayer - I think I'm going to try that.

I use Trifexis for both. It's not certified (or whatever the right word is from drug testing) for ticks, but it works on them at least in some places - maybe some kinds of ticks. I really like being able to use one thing for ticks, fleas, and heart worm.

I do see them attached and dead, but I see that with frontline too. I think it kills them before they can transmit the diseases (at least Lymes which they say takes about 30 some hours of attachment).

When we're at the beach, I need a collar - the trifexis and frontline don't seem to bother those ticks a lick. Who knew - ticks at the beach...

As for the ticks becoming immune - I either talked to someone about that or read something about that they're not becoming immune. It would seem reasonable to us as dog owners since we see widespread use of these products, until you realize that pets are in reality such a very small part of the pool of tick hosts and that many pets don't get tick protection. I'd imagine a high percentage of ticks never bite a domestic animal of any kind, so probably not enough ticks are exposed to it for there to be any kind of competitive advantage. I suppose maybe in some localized areas (like your yard maybe) but again, I'd expect that most of the ticks that get on your dogs don't live to talk about it anyway. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but it was interesting.

The Scalibor collar is supposed to keep them from attaching, and kill them even if they don't attach - supposed to work wet. Takes 2-3 weeks to get established after you put it on. I don't know how bathing a dog would impact it - not with and kind of soap anyway.

I really hate the nymph sized ones. So small you can't hardly see them crawling on a piece of white paper. There are 4 stages - larvae (they don't usually have the Lymes disease causing spirochete yet. The adults can, but are usually noticed (at least on people before they've been on long enough) The nymph's are the problem. Pretty dang small and they can transmit the disease.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Picked up the new Seresto collar and have some info:

It can be used on puppies 7 weeks and older. The small dog sized version is goof got up to 18 lbs. So since they never stay under 18 lbs for the time the collar lasts, you probably need a large dog version even for a puppies, although the fast growth may be an issue anyway with the length of the collar.

It say's it's effective for 8 months.

It says it's waterproof and resistant to shampoo, but it goes on to say that dogs must not be bathed more than once a month and that for dogs that swim more than once a month, the control duration is reduced to 5 months.

I wonder what that means for dogs that swim more than once a week?

It is supposed to kill ticks that get on the dog, which is good for ticks that come into the house on the dog and then decide to leave the dog once in a place where they can ambush me.

If I put it on today, I'd figure it should work well for 3 months at least, which should get me to September. Five months would be November. I'll let ya'll know how it works, but after November if I still don't see any ticks or fleas, I'm not going to know if it's the collar or the weather, and it's past 8 months before they'd be very active again.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    Picked up the new Seresto collar and have some info:

It can be used on puppies 7 weeks and older. The small dog sized version is goof got up to 18 lbs. So since they never stay under 18 lbs for the time the collar lasts, you probably need a large dog version even for a puppies, although the fast growth may be an issue anyway with the length of the collar.

It say's it's effective for 8 months.

It says it's waterproof and resistant to shampoo, but it goes on to say that dogs must not be bathed more than once a month and that for dogs that swim more than once a month, the control duration is reduced to 5 months.

I wonder what that means for dogs that swim more than once a week?

It is supposed to kill ticks that get on the dog, which is good for ticks that come into the house on the dog and then decide to leave the dog once in a place where they can ambush me.

If I put it on today, I'd figure it should work well for 3 months at least, which should get me to September. Five months would be November. I'll let ya'll know how it works, but after November if I still don't see any ticks or fleas, I'm not going to know if it's the collar or the weather, and it's past 8 months before they'd be very active again.
    How is the collar working so far? My Scalibors are still working well.

i bought a seresto 2 months ago. been working out pretty well no ticks. and i know we've been areas were ticks were prevalent as training group has gotten a few (humans not their dogs)

i cut mine a tad bit short and was worried it'd fall off since its a slide mechanism and no buckle. so i electric taped it to the inside of his actual collar. put tape about every 3 inches to keep it attached to the inside of the collar that way theres room for contact. and so when he has his e collar on i dont have 2 other collars getting in the way just his main one.

we've had weekend water training just about since he got the collar. and one bath this past week. still holdin up

What is the cost of the collars?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiodogman View Post
    What is the cost of the collars?
    Preventic collars about $10-$12, probably cheaper online