The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the Forum--Questionable Training Method

It sounds like the old (60's) upland type training if you're running hunt tests you'll eventually get there, with a above average dog you will probably catch up for field trials. You are already starting kind of rough you should have gotten your puppy closer to 7 weeks, you've lost 7 weeks of play and socialization right off the bat. On the trainer's side getting a good foundation will definitely help advance quickly, hopefully you have enough dog to get through the mundane without a sour attitude.

Find a good retriever trainer and and use him or her.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Judy Aycock was a trainer of show poodles before she got into labs
    I can't wait to tell her that one, and you are mistaken unless she led a secret life no one knew about.
    Hahahahaha - thanks for the morning laugh!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

As for the OP, I would say if you have questions/doubts then do a little more research on how he trains and also look at other trainers/options. Keep in mind your pup is still young and there is no reason you can't work on his OB and basic retrieving skills why you thoroughly check out the Pro you want to use (go train with him on the weekends, see if he fits you and your dog). And also ask yourself if your young pup is ready (mature enough) to start a formal training program? I'd highly suggest to wait until his adult teeth are in before sending off to a Pro because I feel there isn't much a Pro can do that you can't do until then and it saves your wallet.

FOM

Proudly Owned By:

Agree 100% with FOM's post; the puppy stuff isn't rocket science, it's mostly making learning fun, whether it's retrieves, recalls or basic obedience. The dog's maturity level should be the determining factor for sending him off, plus adult teeth being in. Some are mentally ready for formal obedience/FF by 5 or 6 mos., some are slower to mature and benefit from a longer time doing the play stuff. I've had ones that were ready for formal obedience at 5 mos., others not til almost a year.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Agree 100% with FOM's post; the puppy stuff isn't rocket science, it's mostly making learning fun, whether it's retrieves, recalls or basic obedience. The dog's maturity level should be the determining factor for sending him off, plus adult teeth being in. Some are mentally ready for formal obedience/FF by 5 or 6 mos., some are slower to mature and benefit from a longer time doing the play stuff. I've had ones that were ready for formal obedience at 5 mos., others not til almost a year.
    My most current pup falls into this category, I sent him to my Pro at 6 months and she had me bring him back home, he just really didn't have the focus to start a formal program - at first it kind of hurt my ego, come on these are our babies, right? So I kept him while she was on her winter trip, we focused on building his desire, focus on the line and solidifying OB (sit, here, heel), well she has him now and so far is pleased with him - granted it's only been a few days, but I'll take it. Keeping him home was the BEST thing I did for him, I think now he will have a better go at learning how to be a big dog....he is behind on the timeline everyone likes to get wrapped around the axle over, but it's okay because I'm not in it for the short haul...

FOM

Proudly Owned By: