The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Red, irritated spot under fur

Default Red, irritated spot under fur

Just noticed my CLM has a spot near his spine that has been giving him some trouble for about 2 days. When I brushed the fur back I noticed a good sized spot that is red and weaping. The dermatitis seems to be uncomfortable and itchy but is not causing the hair to fall out. We will see the vet but I wanted to know if anyone has seen this before. I switched to TriForce flea and tick repellant that I applied on Sunday and have a sneaking suspicion that I am seeing a reaction to the medication. Also, we have just been able to get into the water in the last couple days but I dry him thoroughly and he hasnt had a problem before. The spot is localized to the top of his mid back as I have not found any other spots of irritation. Please reference the photo and let me know what I may be dealing with as I have not seen this before.

Thanks,

Clay

Jax dermatitis.jpg
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

I've heard off this problem before with some tick and flea prevention. I know one has been taken off of market because of it last year but I don't remember the name. But I don't think it's the one you applied. But they can have reaction to anything.
    I had the same problem one year with frontline with my older dog after years of applying it to her. Switched to a different brand and no problems.

I had a similar reaction to an application of Frontline, years ago.
    According to Merial, it was not the active ingredient (Fipronil) that caused the reaction.
    But, rather the carrier agent that distributes the Fipronil throughout the dog's skin.

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    I've heard off this problem before with some tick and flea prevention. I know one has been taken off of market because of it last year but I don't remember the name. But I don't think it's the one you applied. But they can have reaction to anything.
    I had the same problem one year with frontline with my older dog after years of applying it to her. Switched to a different brand and no problems.
    One other thing Clay, get some mild soap without a lot of perfume and detergent like Ivory and wash that off of him before it causes any more skin irritation! Rinse the soap off throughly and pat dry.

My dog got spots like that when I was doing swim by. Ended up being bacterial skin infection caused by the fur holding moisture and never really drying out. Also the pond that I trained in looked very clean but had a lot of snails, and the snails carry parasites that will cause these types of skin lesions (in humans its called swimmer's itch). They can be very stubborn if you don't catch them immediately. Vets will often put dogs on Cephalexin for this and that usually works very well. I would rinse your dog with clean water after training, dry him thoroughly. My Vet also recommended Chlorhexidine antiseptic (you can buy this at most local drug stores) to clean the raw areas of skin. I also brush out their undercoat when training during summer months which helps reduce drying time. Its a lot easier to catch this before it starts than to deal with it after the fact.
    Last edited by Meleagris1; 05-02-2013 at 09:06 AM.