The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny things at the jh test

Default Funny things at the jh test

I saw a couple of funny things last weekend and wanted to share. Luckily they both turned out good. The first was when a gentleman was at the line with his young dog and they sent up a mark to his right and the pup made a perfect retrieve. Then comes the one to his left and about the same exact time a buzzard flew real low and went to his right. Well as you probably already guessed the pup followed the buzzard! Hunted around just knowing that there must be a bird because he heard the shot. Well this went on for a while and the pup never stopped hunting. Everybody saw this and couldn't believe his luck. Then you saw that pup get a sniff of the duck and back to his owner he comes. He got a huge ovation! The second happened to me. We picked up the first bird with no problem and called for the second. The winger goes off, a big bang and they forgot to put a bird in the winger. My pup looks at the area of the bang, back to the first station, back again at the second and then up at me. I guess she is used to me missing and didn't budge a bit. I'm laughing and looking at the judge and asking if I owe him any money? He apologizes and asks me to get back in line and he'll give me a do-over. She nails it and all is good. Two weeks before at the water series a dead duck was launched out of a winger and BAM! It came back to life! Swam away from all the commotion and it took 6 shots and a long retrieve to get it back. Does this stuff happen all the time or am I just lucky to witness this

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Southall View Post
    I saw a couple of funny things last weekend and wanted to share. Luckily they both turned out good. The first was when a gentleman was at the line with his young dog and they sent up a mark to his right and the pup made a perfect retrieve. Then comes the one to his left and about the same exact time a buzzard flew real low and went to his right. Well as you probably already guessed the pup followed the buzzard! Hunted around just knowing that there must be a bird because he heard the shot. Well this went on for a while and the pup never stopped hunting. Everybody saw this and couldn't believe his luck. Then you saw that pup get a sniff of the duck and back to his owner he comes. He got a huge ovation! The second happened to me. We picked up the first bird with no problem and called for the second. The winger goes off, a big bang and they forgot to put a bird in the winger. My pup looks at the area of the bang, back to the first station, back again at the second and then up at me. I guess she is used to me missing and didn't budge a bit. I'm laughing and looking at the judge and asking if I owe him any money? He apologizes and asks me to get back in line and he'll give me a do-over. She nails it and all is good. Two weeks before at the water series a dead duck was launched out of a winger and BAM! It came back to life! Swam away from all the commotion and it took 6 shots and a long retrieve to get it back. Does this stuff happen all the time or am I just lucky to witness this
    My funny thing was that I had trouble getting my UKC and AKC titles from both organizations even though me and my dog passed all the tests. Both lost the documents for one test.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

muddy running lines and junior tests are great fun. The junior flop has much more meaning at a sloppy line.

not at junior but...
    handler slightly distracted at line talking with judge.
    Big Ol' Golden snacks on judges sandwich on arm of chair.
    line workers and wee small gallery try not to explode in snickers.
    I think the handler may even have gotten judge another lunch after running.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Most JH tests are extremely entertaining. Almost as much fun as hanging out at the boat ramp the first warm weekend of the year. One of my favorites was watching what was easily a 130lb+ chesie, properly named bear, head straight for a holding blind, knock over the winger, take two birds from the bucket and proceed to deliver to or chase the bird boy, depending on your prospective, back and forth across the field. I'm not sure I've ever laughed harder....

JH Dog went in for a water retrieve picked up the bird and on the way back saw it's own reflection in the water and started pawing at the reflection. wouldn't come back to the line stayed in the water. Handler said the test is over and walked fast to the pond taking off his shoes thowing his wallet, everything he did not want to get wet. Went in after the dog. I think he had to have been in the water about 10 minutes. Dogs eyes got to be like saucers when he saw the handler coming in after him.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Saw a labrador swim headfirst into a pole that was sticking up out of the water at a JH test. Dog was a bit surprised, to say the least. The pole was sticking up at least 4 feet out of the water, no idea how the dog missed that it was there.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Saw a labrador swim headfirst into a pole that was sticking up out of the water at a JH test. Dog was a bit surprised, to say the least. The pole was sticking up at least 4 feet out of the water, no idea how the dog missed that it was there.
    I don't blame him! Who in the world would put a pole there!

That's funny! There was a new girl working at a HT. She wasn't real big on the handling of dead ducks but, put on gloves and she was doing fine. About half way through the day and after a couple re-birds I saw a commotion going on in her holding blind. A duck had come back to life and was kicking and flailing around. The girl was trying to do the right thing and stay quiet but, her response was like it was a zombie duck. It was shot up, kicking then flopping and walking. Poor girl was mortified. The look on her face was priceless.

Poodle wouldn't get in the water for a 25 yard mark, so the handler jumped overboard, swam to the bird, called the dog, and they all three came back together.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

I've seen lots of funny things. But I won't post them here because most of them involved my dogs!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com