The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hunt Test Question

Default Hunt Test Question

As I was reading the Retriever HT rules. The rules state that a dog will be judges on style and desirer has anyone ever seen a dog dropped for lack of style or desirer?
    Not to be mistaken for lack of perseverance.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Are you talking about AKC hunt tests? Then yes. I saw a senior dog dropped because it was obvious the dog did not want to be there, hated every moment. It did what the owner/handler told it to do, but with head down, tail down and at a slow plod.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Are you talking about AKC hunt tests? Then yes. I saw a senior dog dropped because it was obvious the dog did not want to be there, hated every moment. It did what the owner/handler told it to do, but with head down, tail down and at a slow plod.

Meredith
    Yes that is what I was asking. I've just seen a lot of dogs at hunt tests that are Master Hunters or HRCH, and I found it hard to believe.
    The dogs can do the work but are only doing it because of the fear of not doing it what would happen to them. We say we're trying to better the retriever breeds but rewarding the dog and handler that have this issuse isn't helping the breed.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Yes I have seen it and have failed a dog for style/desire. Some dogs just do not want to retrieve and it shows.

I ran some show goldens in jh and never got dropped for style or desire and some of them had neither. I assume when you get to sr and mh a piggy dog that didn't want to be there would get dropped.

My co-judge and I dropped a dog for style. The handler later conferred with us on the matter. She said that she agreed that the dog should be dropped but no judge was doing this so she just kept running the dog. She finished SH the next day and then retired the dog. This was a VERY well-known handler.

Style is hard for some to "measure" so they let the dogs slide. To me it is simple, "Does this dog show that there is no where that he'd rather be than picking up your birds today."
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Walls View Post
    I ran some show goldens in jh and never got dropped for style or desire and some of them had neither. I assume when you get to sr and mh a piggy dog that didn't want to be there would get dropped.
    There is more to style or better put lack of style than just being piggy or slow...Some older dogs or over weight dogs may be slow but you can see the desire they have ...Attitude and lack of interest reflects it better in my opinion.....A lot of dogs on walk-ups don't show much interest in being there... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters