The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladies: I need hip waders, any suggestions?

Go with breathables and wading boots. They will cost you a little more than rubber hip waders but they will perform better in every scenario. Fishing, hunting, and training. Every pair of breathable waders I've ever had has shoulder strap clips that are oppossed so on a warm day in shallower water you can roll the chest portion down and use the shoulder straps to belt them at your waistline therefore your chest waders become wading pants. I'm a huge fan of Simms products. They cost a little more than some but like a lot of outdoor products if you spend just a little extra you get much better performance and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    If your dog handles effectively you can de-cheat as other trainers do, only without taking the easy way out and pushing a button.

Evan
    That's a cheap shot....
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Duck hunting yes, but even without a collar I don't see the need for waders to decheat a dog. Spend time training him to handle.

I too would recommend chest waders instead of hip boots.(for duck hunting)
    Last edited by John Lash; 05-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    That's a cheap shot....
    At who?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. View Post
    Go with breathables and wading boots. They will cost you a little more than rubber hip waders but they will perform better in every scenario. Fishing, hunting, and training. Every pair of breathable waders I've ever had has shoulder strap clips that are oppossed so on a warm day in shallower water you can roll the chest portion down and use the shoulder straps to belt them at your waistline therefore your chest waders become wading pants. I'm a huge fan of Simms products. They cost a little more than some but like a lot of outdoor products if you spend just a little extra you get much better performance and durability.
    I likem too
    Just Win

FOM, pretty sure Evan was telling me in a nice way that I'm doing things the hard way...

John Lash, thanks for more confirmation that handling will go a long way to teach dog to go straight even in water. I always appreciate your comments, by the way. When you've never taught a dog to the level of handling and running blinds, it does seem doubtful that just handling will do the trick. It's nice to hear successful people reiterate that concept.

And thanks to all for good info on CHEST waders. Will check into all of it, especially the Simms and Cabelas. It's hard to order from a catalogue or online, when you don't know how they'll function or fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    And thanks to all for good info on CHEST waders. Will check into all of it, especially the Simms and Cabelas. It's hard to order from a catalogue or online, when you don't know how they'll function or fit.
    Find a local fly fishing shop that's a Simms dealer. There have to be quite a few in Northern CA I would think. Eventually the duck hunting community will follow the lead of the fly fishing gear manufacturers and neoprene waders will be a thing of the past. Breathables can be worn comfortably year round in the coldest conditions, are more functional, easier to get on and off, and MUCH easier to repair (well the Gore-Tex ones anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    At who?

Evan
    FOM, pretty sure Evan was telling me in a nice way that I'm doing things the hard way...
    If that is the case then I apologize, but I read (or misread) it as a cheap shot to those whose use an e-collar....there is absolutely nothing easy about training a dog using a e-collar, especially decheating - you can easily ruin a dog, that's about the easiest thing I can think of....

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

FOM, pretty sure Evan was telling me in a nice way that I'm doing things the hard way....
    The way I learned to train dogs from D.L. Walters was without an e-collar. But they handled, and lined well enough that both my first dogs were QAA. Even for CC'd dogs I prefer to do much more teaching with handling to de-cheat, than to just apply pressure. I just think that is fundamentally better quality training, and surely more humane. I use the e-collar to enforce commands they know. Even 'back in the day', Cotton Pershall said "If they can mark, and will do what you tell them, you don't need to worry what the test is." (or words to that affect)

My message to you, Jennifer, is that you can train your dogs to do good fieldwork without an e-collar. Is it the harder way? Yes, I think it is. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. And it doesn't reflect negatively upon you in any way because that's what you've chosen to do.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    If that is the case then I apologize, but I read (or misread) it as a cheap shot to those whose use an e-collar....there is absolutely nothing easy about training a dog using a e-collar, especially decheating - you can easily ruin a dog, that's about the easiest thing I can think of....

FOM
    Which is exactly why I don't use one. Kudos to those brave enough to do it and can do it the right way!

And thanks for your comments Evan!!
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 05-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.