The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swallows too much water

Default Swallows too much water

My 20 month old YLM will swallow too much water when doing water retrieves. When he gets back on land he looks quite bloated and will usually have a few big burps or sometimes throw up some of the water before his sides go back to normal.

Is this something that can lead to any health issues like bloat and/or a twisted stomach? Is this something they figure out on their own with experience/age and stop swallowing so much water?

Our training schedule in the evenings through the week usually has us training about 2 hours after a meal and then he gets another small meal about 2 hours or so after training before going to sleep for the night (he gets 3 meals per day).

Thanks
    Jim

My older Lab did the same thing, until he was almost 3. Vet says not to worry he will grow out of it.
    "Remember, it's about the Dog and the Dog work, it's not about you"

That's something he will mature away from.
    Keep him in as clean of water as you can to avoid any complications from him ingesting any bacteria .

I had a little BLF that I finally had to retire- didn't think she could hold a big triple. She would crawl out onto the bank and puke about a gallon and then ready to go again. I think that she just kinda leaked in water cause she was so low in the water and didn't realize she was even doing it.

Looked like a biggo tick regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

My male does that. I have noticed if I dont feed him before training its not as bad

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Norton View Post
    My older Lab did the same thing, until he was almost 3. Vet says not to worry he will grow out of it.
    I have a ten year old your vet needs to speak with. HRCH/MH and every time he does a water mark or blind he drinks his way across the water. He doesn't bloat, just lowers the lake level.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

So, if we are in a test, am I allowed to let him puke up all the water from the first retrieve before sending him for the second on a double? (providing it's not on the judges boots)!

I hope he does grow out of it. It seems like he can't get to the bird/bumper fast enough and just swims real low drinking in the water as he goes. The water so far has been pretty clean with the spring we have been having, but I will have to keep an eye on it as the weather heats up.

I have an almost 12 year old.... I'm thinking he's not going to grow out of it. Typically does it the first time he gets in the water for the day... then is fine after that. He has never had a real big water entry... just kind of plows in full throttle at a run. I think that's when he ingests it. Pukes, then carries on like nothing even happened.
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"

I have seen some dogs sort of push a duck into shore with an open mouth rather than take a good hold of it. I would think this could lead to what you are seeing. Take a close look. If that's the case, then you know what you need to work on.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I trained with a dog who swallowed water from the time he was a puppy until he retired as a 10 year old. He never outgrew it. He'd often come in and vomit a gallon or so and line up for another bird. His owner/trainer/handler gave small bumpers to the gunners on water swims as he bloated up less with small bumpers than with birds or big bumpers.

A gallon didn't always seem like an exaggeration either.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013