The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swallows too much water

Why does he eat three meals a day? At that age once or maybe twice is recommended. You should not be training him after a meal. Feed him his evening meal at least an hour after training.

The 3 meals thing is just something I never changed from the time he was a pup. It's a routine that we are used to and he is in very good shape at a lean 70 pounds. I am not a fan of the 1 meal a day thing, but may go to the 2 meals a day in the future. His evening meal is a minimum of 1-1/2 hours after a training session.

I did notice last night that his bloating seemed better when he had a duck as opposed to a 3" bumper, so most of it may be coming from his return with something in his mouth.

I am NOT trying to argue with you about how many times you feed your dog. It is after all YOUR DOG.

As a once-a-day feeder carried over from his first pro, it sure makes it a lot easier on you when you only have one 2-hour period every day you can't train.

As an aside, I am almost relieved to see this thread. I thought I had been had a couple weeks ago when a very good trainer showed me how to burp a dog in such a situation by putting the dog on my shoulder. Turns out there may be a need for such after all!

No argument taken RT.

I only do 1 training session per day any ways, so the one 2 hour window of no training isn't much of a problem for me.

It has always been my perception that 3 smaller meals spaced out per day would be easier on the dog. I know I would not like to have only 1 big meal per day.

I hope you have your rain jacket on when the dog is over your shoulder for a burping!!!