The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selecting judges - double master. How to? tips and tricks?

Default selecting judges - double master. How to? tips and tricks?

I understand this may be a controversial topic to some but no negative comments please! I saw a post about this a while back but I could not find it. It seemed like I remember people having certain methods of selecting judges. scenario- Master A judges and Master B judges, you would prefer to run under master A judges but on entry express you can only enter and then entry express chooses your judges. tips? tricks? Ideas?

You pay your entry fee, you take your chances. If you'd run under one set of judges, but not the other, you've got a 50/50 shot. If you feel that strongly about it, and get the judges you'd not run under, all you can do is scratch.

The only way to be able to set Master A or Master B, is if there's a rule conflict that prevents you from running under one set of judges (i.e. trained your dog, spouse, etc.)

I've been a hunt test secretary for the past few years for our club's tests and have gotten calls from people with issues with one of our sets of judges. All I can tell them is, enter, don't enter, it's your choice, but we cannot promise a certain set of judges and it's the luck of the draw.
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Well here is an interesting one that someone just told me. Put the judge that you don't want as a handler on your dog. Hahaha. Hmmm wonder if it works?

Might work but it would be pretty obvious and unsporting.

I can never figure this one out. If judges really suck the club shouldn't pick them. If they are fair but set difficult tests, then if we're not ready... we're not ready...
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by justin300mag View Post
    Well here is an interesting one that someone just told me. Put the judge that you don't want as a handler on your dog. Hahaha. Hmmm wonder if it works?
    It would take about 5 minutes for someone to tell that judge you put them down as a handler. It would take the judge 5 minutes to call the HT Secretary. Guess what judge you would be running under?
    Tom Dorroh

If I opposed a particular judge that much I would find another test to run before I would cheat.
    TBRO

Choose your battles carefully, life is too short to spend fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Might work but it would be pretty obvious and unsporting.

I can never figure this one out. If judges really suck the club shouldn't pick them. If they are fair but set difficult tests, then if we're not ready... we're not ready...
    Yeah, but often it's a totally unreasonable test set up by an OK judge (like the 134 yard JH test I ran once - the rulebook says no greater than 100) or it's a totally reasonable test with an ok judge, who is good at judging a test, but can't leave you alone at the line (Like the one who told me to take the pocket knife out of my pocket, and the keys off of my belt, because these were signs of force. you hit your dog with your keys? really?)

Hmmm If it's that important sign-up and scratch, club may give you your money back may not. The only time I'd consider the club liable for a full refund would be if the club didn't know they were going to split and had to bring in judges on the fly after the close. Still it can make more of a point if you get a group of people particularly those who usually help with the event to boycott, and let it get through the grape-vine exactly why. That can really make a difference in the clubs selection process next time, particularly a bunch of MH level dogs, who frequent the event year after year.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-03-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    Yeah, but often it's a totally unreasonable test set up by an OK judge (like the 134 yard JH test I ran once - the rulebook says no greater than 100) or it's a totally reasonable test with an ok judge, who is good at judging a test, but can't leave you alone at the line (Like the one who told me to take the pocket knife out of my pocket, and the keys off of my belt, because these were signs of force. you hit your dog with your keys? really?)
    Meh, in all those cases I would say who cares... who cares and... who cares... The rules say "should not normally exceed" as I recall and if 134 yd single is an issue... well...
    Darrin Greene

often it's a totally unreasonable test set up by an OK judge (like the 134 yard JH test I ran once - the rulebook says no greater than 100)
    You misquoted the rule book. It says:

Section 1. Test distances on land and water in all test
    levels shall be established by the Judges. Retrieves in all
    test levels should not normally exceed 100 yards.

So if the judges want to be abnormal they can set it up longer than 100 yards and have a legal test. Judges being dog people, I don't think we should assume they will be normal.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013