The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: selecting judges - double master. How to? tips and tricks?

For a lot of folks, running young dogs, 100+ yards can be a big mark. The case in question was a test that my 5 year old was running as a Junior handler with a dog that had passed juniors long before. Sure the dog can mark a fall that long, but if a novice handler isn't comfortable in the situation, then are we defeating the purpose of a JH test? (PM me, we're hijacking this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Judges being dog people, I don't think we should assume they will be normal.
    Fair point.

You can call the hunt marhsall and volenteer to help out at a certain stake if they put you in the flgt you want. It does not always work but if it does you better plan on working. Most clubs are short handed and always need extra help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Hmmm If it's that important sign-up and scratch, club may give you your money back may not. The only time I'd consider the club liable for a full refund would be if the club didn't know they were going to split and had to bring in judges on the fly after the close. Still it can make more of a point if you get a group of people particularly those who usually help with the event to boycott, and let it get through the grape-vine exactly why. That can really make a difference in the clubs selection process next time, particularly a bunch of MH level dogs, who frequent the event year after year.
    AKC rules and most clubs' premiums specifically allow a club to substitute or add judges as may be needed. "You pays your money and you takes your choice." If you don't like the flight to which your were assigned you can stay home and watch TV. But don't expect a refund because it's not warranted. Conversations about "boycotts" or "tweaking" the regs to get a peceived advantage are, as my late grandmother would say, just plain "tacky." If not just plain unsportsman like.

It dont matter your dogs are awesome and you didnt pick that judge anyways, but he did have an easy test

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    ..... and the keys off of my belt, because these were signs of force. you hit your dog with your keys? really?)
    OK judge was dippy!
    But you know the why in back of it right?
    In training each time you beat your dog. The instant you begin beating your dog. You jingle the keys or coins in your pocket. Then proceed to pound the snot out of your dog. Then when you are on line under judgement all you need to do is jingle the coin or keys and Rover thinks he is about to get the snot pounded out of him and shapes up and is a good dog.
    I am not saying this is right or that it works. BUT a judge that warns you of such might train that way themself.
    Often a judges own weakness is what they are most harsh on when judging others.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    For a lot of folks, running young dogs, 100+ yards can be a big mark. The case in question was a test that my 5 year old was running as a Junior handler with a dog that had passed juniors long before. Sure the dog can mark a fall that long, but if a novice handler isn't comfortable in the situation, then are we defeating the purpose of a JH test? (PM me, we're hijacking this thread)

Fair point.
    They should train then

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by justin300mag View Post
    I understand this may be a controversial topic to some but no negative comments please! I saw a post about this a while back but I could not find it. It seemed like I remember people having certain methods of selecting judges. scenario- Master A judges and Master B judges, you would prefer to run under master A judges but on entry express you can only enter and then entry express chooses your judges. tips? tricks? Ideas?
    I'd only be thinking that way personally if club members were judging my stake. It's not a matter of good judge, bad judge. I prefer coming to the line with four eyes judging the dog without precedent.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon