The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Master National Qualifiers (312 to date) and 48 MH on one weekend

Default 2013 Master National Qualifiers (312 to date) and 48 MH on one weekend

Another thread on RTF is a discussion on the pros and cons of the amendment revision the MNRC has proposed regarding changing the rules to qualify to run in a Master National. The MNRC is recommending that a dog pass 6 more master tests to qualify after it receives its MH title. The reason for this change is to reduce the number of entries in the master national; another rationale is that younger dogs are becoming qualified, but are not mature enough to run the master national.

According to Retriever Results, as of last weekend (April 21), 312 dogs have qualified to run the 2013 Master National. 48 dogs obtained their MH title just last weekend.

With these figures in mind, it is understandable why the MNRC is trying to come up with ways to cut the MN entries by making it more difficult to qualify for the national event.

It does make one pause when 48 dogs obtain an MH title on one weekend.

Helen

I understand to a point, but the notion that young dogs aren't mature enough is bogus. If they did the work they are mature enough.
    Bert Rodgers

Things will have to "evolve." I think they ran over 700 dogs last year, and over 900 qualified. I get that it's pass a standard, but what do you do when 1000 dogs pass?

I don't run hunt tests, but someone posted awhile back that OB trials (I think) are "pass fail" but they award placings to the top 4 dogs in addition to all that pass. Seems like a good solution to someone who knows nothing about it...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

The more the better, is what I always say. I think it shows health in the sport or the industry if you prefer. I'm sure the local merchants are not complaining.

As a newbie who hasn't earned an MH, but has that as my goal, I have no problem with MNRC making it more challenging to qualify for Master National - in fact, I think it's reasonable. But I still think there should be 4 regionals, then a national.

Quote Originally Posted by forhair View Post
    The more the better, is what I always say. I think it shows health in the sport or the industry if you prefer. I'm sure the local merchants are not complaining.
    Yes, to a point. Can you imagine setting up tests for and judging 700 dogs? How about 1200?
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Numbers can be deceiving when you mention 48 new MH titles last report. It is the beginning of the upnorth season and most of those dogs are roughly a year older than their first pass age maybe even more so maturity is less an issue.

Maybe MN needs to change the time frame for qualification from Aug to Jan- Jan. If you pass in the calendar year 2013 then you would run in 2014. Then some of the older dogs would be too old to run and numbers would be down. That makes as much sense as being against younger dogs.

Disclaimer; My 2.6 CLF Kate was one of the 48. Another disclaimer, I am old.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

In AKC agility, a random draw is allowed with the total number of runs stated in the premium. Folks send in the entry, closing date is reached and the draw is done. Tracking tests are done that way also.

Just a thought...

Laurie

No doubt the Master National event is too big, I'd support anything that is fair, and this clearly isn't. Shall we also assume that an 8 year old is too old to perform for the entire week?

I'm loyal to both games, but it seems to me that the same young dog can become Qualified for All Age field trial events before it has to run 12 or likely far more Master Tests to qualify to enter the Master National.

This is not the first thread on the topic of controlling the size of the MN event. I don't remember this proposal being mentioned in any of them. This is a tremendously valuable forum to voice opinions.

I'm not in favor of age discrimination, and not in favor of competing against other dogs to quality. The lack of competing against other dogs is what makes our sport unique.

I believe that we can achieve the objective by raising the minimum marking score to "7".
    Last edited by counciloak; 04-27-2013 at 10:30 AM.

I know it's been discussed before, but I think it's time for regionals.
    Bert Rodgers