The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of fire

Default Lack of fire

hi yall
    i have a 4 month old yellow lab male. Listens well is crate trained, have been noticing lately a lack of fire or drive to retrieve. He did well with hallway retrieves when he was younger and only threw a couple at a time to keep his interest. He will retrieve bumpers in the yard somedays like a pro and then other days just doesnt care. Try to throw bumpers at a different location, wants nothing to do with it too distracted. I guess my concern is that he just doent have much fire, for the breeding he came out of i was expecting a big powered dog. Ny ideas how i can increase his drive and fire??

could the dog be teething at 4 months ? have you started any basic OB work

Make sure he has all his permanent teeth before making any judgements about his desire...

Then maybe introduce him to a wing clipped pigeon, but start working on the basics first
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

It's to soon to be concerned. Like Bon said may be teeting. In Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy, he only trains every second or third day. Rowdy would have days like you are experiencing when he was that age. But look at him now. He is a retrieving fool.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Might want to rule out a health issue after he has hist teeth if the issue persists.
    Darrin Greene

He is a BABY! You need to continue to shape his behavior and let him grow up and mature at his own rate of speed. It takes longer for the boys. Puppy buyers often have unrealistic expectations even when out of a high-powered breeding. Some do not show their stuff until 8 to 10 months of age. And then look out! Be patient.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Along the lines of the other guys....how much are you throwing for him, every day?, every second day?...could be you are working him too much. Slow down and cut back the number of sessions.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    hi yall
    i have a 4 month old yellow lab male. Listens well is crate trained, have been noticing lately a lack of fire or drive to retrieve. He did well with hallway retrieves when he was younger and only threw a couple at a time to keep his interest. He will retrieve bumpers in the yard somedays like a pro and then other days just doesnt care. Try to throw bumpers at a different location, wants nothing to do with it too distracted. I guess my concern is that he just doent have much fire, for the breeding he came out of i was expecting a big powered dog. Ny ideas how i can increase his drive and fire??
    I had a pup like that.
    At 4 months I actually thought about getting rid of him due to lack of drive.
    Turns out, he has an adequate amount of drive, like more than I can handle.........
    I would give it a little more time.

JMO

Good luck!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

My yellow female was just like you described. Come to find out, she was teething. Then, I was worried about her drive and now, two months later, I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to teach her to honor! She can't stand for something to be thrown and her not go get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    He is a BABY! You need to continue to shape his behavior and let him grow up and mature at his own rate of speed. It takes longer for the boys. Puppy buyers often have unrealistic expectations even when out of a high-powered breeding. Some do not show their stuff until 8 to 10 months of age. And then look out! Be patient.
    JusticeDog has it right. He is a baby.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    What Susan, Wayne, & road kill said!