The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lack of fire

i am goin through the exact problem, i mean to a T of how you described. Im just trying to remember hes young and just a puppy and to slow down n enjoy this time. It is frustrating and dishearting but when they do turn this lil adventure will make the success that much better. Well i hope so at least lol some of the replies were kind of reasurring though, hope to hear more. Good luck with the pup n come fall i hope to see some ducks n the dog

Be careful what you wish for. I had some of the same thoughts about my yellow pup. Biggest in the litter, male, sluggish.

And then he saw his first shot flyer at about 4.5 months. It wasn't his; he literally saw a shot flyer for another dog and almost separated my arm from my shoulder trying to get to it. At that moment the problem changed to "how on earth do I control this maniac?????" We "shot" him a flyer and he hit that duck like a linebacker. Has been doing so ever since.

A good problem (at least to a point), but a problem nonetheless.

Most new trainers throw way to many bumpers when a pup is young and then wonder why the pup is not interested. Slow down. Way to soon to pass judgment. Do other fun stuff. Don

Quote Originally Posted by Loran Marmes (JR) View Post
    i am goin through the exact problem, i mean to a T of how you described. Im just trying to remember hes young and just a puppy and to slow down n enjoy this time. It is frustrating and dishearting but when they do turn this lil adventure will make the success that much better. Well i hope so at least lol some of the replies were kind of reasurring though, hope to hear more. Good luck with the pup n come fall i hope to see some ducks n the dog
    I'm also going though this with my 6 mo old golden.

thanks for all the responses, thats what i was thinking just too young to tell, hard to not look ahead and all but then when hes older ill wish he was a pup again. I at most throw 4 to 5 bumpers, if hes not into it all or whatever i stop even if its just one throw, he ll chase a dead piegon on a lead and get some what excited. maybe ill just back and let him have some fun and enjoy hanging out. His ob is pretty good, comes here when told sits on command kennels up on command. I think my expectations are just really high n thats not fair to him. I hope to hear more from ya guys thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    thanks for all the responses, thats what i was thinking just too young to tell, hard to not look ahead and all but then when hes older ill wish he was a pup again. I at most throw 4 to 5 bumpers, if hes not into it all or whatever i stop even if its just one throw, he ll chase a dead piegon on a lead and get some what excited. maybe ill just back and let him have some fun and enjoy hanging out. His ob is pretty good, comes here when told sits on command kennels up on command. I think my expectations are just really high n thats not fair to him. I hope to hear more from ya guys thanks!!!!
    Try a wing clipped live pigeon....
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

did that this past sunday, he did alright, if it didnt move his intrest wasnt that high would bring it back tho so... thats a positive

I have a 3.5 month old blk male and what works for me is taking a couple days off in between any retrieving. I have even cut back on the Hillman training to once every third day or so, and I have seen a great response. Now when I throw something he is balls to the wall to get it and bring it back. Heck if he sees the bumpers laying on the ground he runs over and brings one to me now. Couple days off in between training and retrieving and only throwing 3-5 bumpers for him with a frozen bird worked in once a week has given me great results.
    Weasle