The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Week Old Pup

Default 4 Week Old Pup

I am going to be taking a look at a 4 week old litter of British labs, of which we have pick of the litter of the 3 yellow females this weekend. Do the pups show any personality or character at 4 weeks old yet? I'm not sure if the breeder is going to push for me to pick one out but I would think it would be best to wait. At what age have all of you picked your pup out? I will be bringing it home at 7 weeks. Thanks for any advice or help!

I prefer to see the litter several times between 5 & 7 weeks. But it's not necessary; just a preference.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Not a pro here. But it seems pretty early. I recently picked up a pup at 7 weeks. And is it crazy how much his personality has changed in the past 4 weeks. I think it would be pretty hard to know what u have at 4 weeks. I would say observe, have fun and compare your observation again at 7 weeks.
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

My pups don't really start to show their personalities until around 5 weeks and I make my final decsions on which pup is going where at 7 weeks.

At four weeks they are cute, but I certainly wouldn't want to make a decision. It would be good to rely on the breeder's assessment of the pups to help make your decision.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I prefer to see the litter several times between 5 & 7 weeks. But it's not necessary; just a preference.

Evan
    I agree only thing I would add is to go at different times of the day. Sometimes you could see the litter just after a feeding and mellow sleepy pups is what you see. I like to see them just before feeding time when they are most active. Just my preference.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I wonder how much the breeder could help with the decision. I did go look at my puppy at 5 weeks then pick up at 7 weeks old. I had told her what personality best matched me, I had 3rd pick of 9 puppies.
    She didn't tell me which one she thought best for me until I narrowed it down to 2 which I just couldn't decide on the ONE. Maybe she needed to move on with her day and was tired of me hemming and hawing but she told me the one she would have picked for me was in the final 2.
    Yup, that was it, took that one home with me.
    I wasn't worried about all that other stuff because the breeding is solid. Am I happy, well hell yes!

I would try to spend as much time as I could with them from 6 weeks on. One will probably separate herself out of the herd after a few visits.

If I couldn't visit, I'd communicate as much info to the breeder as I could and let the breeder match up the pup and owner.

You could also do the Volhard puppy test and pick on the basis of that. I think I like the breeder pick option better than the puppy test but if you have problems making the breeder understand your needs and wants, it is an option.
    Last edited by Howard N; 05-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

At four weeks, forget the pups - have a look at mom and dad.

If you can't visit a lot, I would let the breeder pick for you. Doing that worked out well for me.

I am no pro either but remember one of my females some yrs ago. I like a little larger dogs 'cuz I shoot a lot of honkers blah blah. So went and looked at a litter at 5 wks. There was this pretty little yellow girl that was quite a bit larger than rest. I looked at them all hard and all seemed about the same. So..I picked the bigger thinking she would be a fair size for hauling ganders. When I went to pick her her up at 7 1/2 wks...I couldn't tell who was who. Breeder knew which on it was (collar came off) and pulled her out. I then remembered by a white spot on foot otherwise they were all the same-actually mine might have been a tad smaller than a couple others. So..like someone else said..4 wks is pretty tough, they change everyday..check out the parents.