The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crate training for the impossible puppy - getting my donkey kicked right now, folks

I agree with Kim.

Puppies here maybe crated or may not be but they are never separated from us. We even sleep with the puppy, in a crate, next to the bed. This has the advantage of a free period of bonding plus, if he fusses in the night, outside he goes. My wife hates it but when we get a puppy, we acquire about 4 extra pieces of furniture in the house...crates.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Update:
    We made some changes and had excellent results. The pup still stayed in the garage, but his crate got a little more comfortable (an old blanket and an extra towel). We also spent more time with him out with all of us together as a group - rather than just one of us at a time.

Probably the biggest change was (this came on advice from the breeder of our other dog) that we enclosed a small 4'x4' space in the yard and put him in there until he had relieved himself. This was to avoid distraction, and give him a regular (no pun intended) location to do his business. After he finished, we gave him a few minutes of playtime, rather than putting him back in the crate, so that he wouldn't associate doing his business with getting put back in the crate.

Pup had zero (read: 0) accidents in the crate, was much much quieter than he'd been the night before, and generally seemed happier with the arrangement. He did piddle on the garage floor twice on the way to the back yard, but I really can't complain about that. Stools continue to look solid, and pup's attitude seems to be at least a little bit happier.

Pup was being fed Purina Pro Plan puppy twice a day. He was not allowed to free-feed (I generally think free-feeding is a bad idea).

Thanks all for the advice! I would have loved to have pup inside, but unfortunatly this was not a viable option this week, for a number of reasons - he'll come indoors in the near future. With three kids, he's getting plenty of time with his people, even if he does have to sleep in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    Update:
    We made some changes and had excellent results. The pup still stayed in the garage, but his crate got a little more comfortable (an old blanket and an extra towel). We also spent more time with him out with all of us together as a group - rather than just one of us at a time.

Probably the biggest change was (this came on advice from the breeder of our other dog) that we enclosed a small 4'x4' space in the yard and put him in there until he had relieved himself. This was to avoid distraction, and give him a regular (no pun intended) location to do his business. After he finished, we gave him a few minutes of playtime, rather than putting him back in the crate, so that he wouldn't associate doing his business with getting put back in the crate.

Pup had zero (read: 0) accidents in the crate, was much much quieter than he'd been the night before, and generally seemed happier with the arrangement. He did piddle on the garage floor twice on the way to the back yard, but I really can't complain about that. Stools continue to look solid, and pup's attitude seems to be at least a little bit happier.

Pup was being fed Purina Pro Plan puppy twice a day. He was not allowed to free-feed (I generally think free-feeding is a bad idea).

Thanks all for the advice! I would have loved to have pup inside, but unfortunatly this was not a viable option this week, for a number of reasons - he'll come indoors in the near future. With three kids, he's getting plenty of time with his people, even if he does have to sleep in the garage.
    If you can play a radio softly during the day to help the pup also not feel so lonely and it's good for them to hear different voices. Your textbook case why as a breeder I like to crate condition my pups before they go home. Also, don't trust the pup to hold it long enough to follow you outside at this age. Just pick him and carry him outside to the selected potty area. I go out with all my pups as well and stay out until they do they do their business..
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Also, don't trust the pup to hold it long enough to follow you outside at this age. Just pick him and carry him outside to the selected potty area. I go out with all my pups as well and stay out until they do they do their business..
    On the second night I had my pup home, I heard the squalling from the crate beside my bed somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:30AM. I got up and promptly stubbed my toe on the crate. I'm already starting out great.

Then, I let my pup out of his crate and started to pull on my shorts to take him outside. Just about the time I got my shorts buttoned, I heard the tell-tale sound and looked down to see my pup peeing all over the carpet, barely missing my bare foot. Right in front of my dresser too. This pup clearly had style from an early age.

After that I dressed first and then picked my pup up and carried him all the way out to the grass. And what my wife said to me when she had to get out of bed at 2:30AM to help clean the spot in the carpet had absolutely nothing to do with my change in technique.

Nice post Kim.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.