The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "No Bird" or not?

The "rules" provide guidance for what iisn't a "no bird". Look starting on page 35 "Unusual circumstances, No Birds". Collapsing it down to a single sentence would yield something like "If the concept of the test is changed or the bird is not retrievable, it is a no bird." The rules section goes over several instances trying to point out that either judge can call it (doesn't take both) or what to do if you have one. However, there isn't any black letter law on what constitutes a "no bird".

If you felt that the bird was retrieveable and was not substantially different from others, let it go. The rules are very clear about each dog not needing to see the same test. What they do say is that the test each dog sees must be within the standard. Thus, distance may not make any difference if the cover is the same and the dog was able to see it, etc.

From your description in letters and characters, I'd say you made a good call.

Not so much in Jr but in Sr and Mstr, my co-jodge and I discuss no birds before the test, even to the extent of instances of what will and won't be a no bird.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Tbro-
    I remember that scenario (and no, it wasn't my dog). I think you made the right call. It was the "go bird", dog saw it, cover really wasn't a factor, it was steady, and handled the angled water entry just fine. I don't think you would have accomplished anything by calling a "no bird". I bet you'll be ready for that kind of stuff next time! See you this weekend buddy!
    Jeff Brezee

MHR HR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear SH
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code JH "Jasmine"

Quote Originally Posted by tbro View Post

I paused for a second mulling over if "No Bird" should be called. The dog appeared to mark the fall so I called their number. The dog crushed both marks (Thank You Pup!) and the blind.
    I wasn't there, so I do not mean to be critical.

When I judge, if I think - even for an instant - that there is an issue about the bird being a "no bird" - I call it. And I do so without reference to what I think the dog did or did not see. Part of this is experience, because there have times, I waited and was wrong. Whether a bird is a no bird or not, should not depend on how the dog performed, but rather on your opinion - before the dog is sent - that for whatever reason, the bird is unfair.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Unless what happened was unfair to the dog/handler team I would not have called it. It is not their fault that the mark did not go out as planned and they marked what you threw. Having to go back three dogs after seeing one of the marks is not fun. If the dog had broke his next time to the line would you also be willing to say...well maybe we should give you another chance? Also, if you call No Bird on every one that does not fall perfectly where you wanted it you are gonna be in for some very long days. Kudos for trying to do it right but sometimes no matter what you do........something happens to make it less than perfect.
    Kenneth Farris

If my dog only knew what he could get..........
    HRCH South Wind Brody Jo MH

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brezee View Post
    Tbro-
    I remember that scenario (and no, it wasn't my dog). I think you made the right call. It was the "go bird", dog saw it, cover really wasn't a factor, it was steady, and handled the angled water entry just fine. I don't think you would have accomplished anything by calling a "no bird". I bet you'll be ready for that kind of stuff next time! See you this weekend buddy!
    Thanks Jeff! Good Luck In the morning Pal!!
    TBRO

Choose your battles carefully, life is too short to spend fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I wasn't there, so I do not mean to be critical.

When I judge, if I think - even for an instant - that there is an issue about the bird being a "no bird" - I call it. And I do so without reference to what I think the dog did or did not see. Part of this is experience, because there have times, I waited and was wrong. Whether a bird is a no bird or not, should not depend on how the dog performed, but rather on your opinion - before the dog is sent - that for whatever reason, the bird is unfair.
    I'm with Ted ...If you have a thought...call it ....You will usually be correct .......As he said experience in the chair will help you out on first impressions....Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 05-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters