The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Derby GDG

Default Kentucky Derby GDG

Ok Bon we haven't talked about it but it is time to start making picks. Me? I got no freakin idea and to top it off rain is in the forecast. Gonna download the pp tonight and pick a few superfectas.

I will say this Bafferts Oaks filly, Midnight Lucky, is training like a monster.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Ok Bon we haven't talked about it but it is time to start making picks. Me? I got no freakin idea and to top it off rain is in the forecast. Gonna download the pp tonight and pick a few superfectas.

I will say this Bafferts Oaks filly, Midnight Lucky, is training like a monster.
    doggone it Tim, thats who I was going to take in the Oaks, was thinking of boxing here with a few of the boys in the Oaks>Derby

I have been handicapping the race but will make a call to the in laws in KY to get a real time weather report..I will wait and place my bet just before post...I dont have a big enough bankroll to bet for a fast track and a sloppy wet one...

I am also not going to jinx my pick by posting it on any message board, but I will take a picture of the ticket..if I hit the superfecta big I will take part of the summer off and run FT's
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    doggone it Tim, thats who I was going to take in the Oaks, was thinking of boxing here with a few of the boys in the Oaks>Derby

I have been handicapping the race but will make a call to the in laws in KY to get a real time weather report..I will wait and place my bet just before post...I dont have a big enough bankroll to bet for a fast track and a sloppy wet one...

I am also not going to jinx my pick by posting it on any message board, but I will take a picture of the ticket..if I hit the superfecta big I will take part of the summer off and run FT's
    Worst bet beat of my life was the year Lemons Forever won the Oaks at around 50 to one. Dallas Stewart was her trainer, a Lucas protege, and he trained a couple for us. If memory serves she broke her maiden and loved Churchill Downs and Dallas said take a chance she has a shot. Bet a 5 horse super and hit it......well till the inquiry sign came up. Bushfire was the fourth place finisher but was taken down costing me the bet. Called my brother told him I was crossing the Caddo Lake bridge on the way home and was gonna jump. Don't even ask what it would have paid. lol

My pick=Orb!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    My pick=Orb!

Shug and Easy Goer cost me hundreds against Sunday Silence but I did get to see EG in person at Clairborne before his untimely demise. Hell of a horse a throwback that could run a mile and half without slowing down. I have a picture frame with tail hair from Easy Goer in my office. He had terrible ankles but a heart of steel. Sweet disposition as well.

BTW Orb same connections as Easy Goer.
    Last edited by duk4me; 05-02-2013 at 07:00 PM.

On the same weekend there were steeple chase races in Warrenton VA. Are those still happening? Maybe Julie or Tim would know?
    We had a lot of good times at that event when I was younger. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    On the same weekend there were steeple chase races in Warrenton VA. Are those still happening? Maybe Julie or Tim would know?
    We had a lot of good times at that event when I was younger. JD
    I don't know much about steeple chase races. About all I know is the Saratoga NY meet which is in my opinion the premier meet in the nation features several steeple chase races on their thoroughbred cards during the week. Other than that I can't offer much. Julie would be much more knowledgable than me.

JD, yes Saturday is the 88th running of the Virginia Gold Cup, 4 miles over timber. Not in Warrenton any longer (that old course is now a housing development); it moved to Old Tavern near The Plains about 25 years ago (Great Meadow course). This year they'll actually have parimutuel wagering for the first time.

Gotta put a couple $ on my namesake in the Oaks, Dreaming of Julia (since Julia is my real name), but I also like both the Midnight Lutes. Probably better odds on the filly though with Rosie riding Mylute you won't get very good odds. Interesting tidbit about Rosie Napravnik....saw her race at Great Meadow as a kid in the pony races, she was born a good rider and tough little competitor! I also like Orb because of Janney/McGaughey. Shug's late father Duney was good friends with my father; both residents of same building in Naples, FL. Spent many enjoyable hours with Duney talking horses and got the chance to meet Shug, too. Duney had a magnificent huge photo of Easy Goer. Pretty much everything you said about him, Tim. I'd like to see Shug with the big win.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

A reliable source told me of a horse that's been running in Dubai.
    Says it is a legit longshot bet, if there is such a thing.

Is this a true statement?

"May your next wager be a winning one!"

Last edited by road kill; 05-03-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

I'll take Pitino's horse.