The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: poop problem with new puppy

Default poop problem with new puppy

My new puppy is 3.5 months old and he seems to have some sort of problem with his poop. About three weeks ago we noticed he had green and runnier poop than normal. He got to the point that it seemed like he could not hold it or control it. he started going in the house which he had never done before. I took a stool sample to the vet and he tested it for cocliosis and said it was negative. He went ahead and gave him two different meds, one for the diaherea, and one for a bacteria that he said it could possibly be. After about four to five days it cleared up and got back to normal, but now a week after the meds are done it has returned. I am going to take him back to the vet, but was hoping someone on here could give me some ideas on what I could do if anything to help him. He does not seem to be feeling bad or anything besides the diaherea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just another thing is that at times the dog is in a fenced in area that is grass, and I didn't know if the grass could be doing it if he is eating it? He is not throwing up or anything else either. Thanks Weasle
    Weasle

Was pup's food recently changed?

My male had a problem with giardia off and on till he was about a year. Flagyl would clear it up for awhile than it returned we finally tried and had the best luck with panacur.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

weasle,

Is you puppy teething? That can cause loose stools, expecially when the molars are pushing through.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

You are correct in leaning on the vet's expertise. The issue is that most poop problems require at least a look under the microscope if not extensive lab work. It could be the food doesn't agree with him or too much food or some form of a bacterial infection or .... all the way up to a relatively rare condition (though this would be way early) called Excocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Your vet will likely try to rule out the easy ones first. When he finds something that works, that's it. If he doesn't, he moves on to the next set of procedures or processes. Vet care is both art and science. Some diagnoses are easy. Some require ruling out a lot of stuff and the wisdom of Job to find. Fortunately, most of the time it's an easy one.

Good luck with the pup. It's so hard to see them suffer like this.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Food is the same as he has been eating since birth. Purina Pro Plan puppy. He may be teething a little bit if he is it is just starting. That giardia I have done some reading on it the last couple of days, is it something to be worried about or is it pretty common?
    Weasle

If caught early. it's not something to be greatly worried about. However, if that's it, you'll have a dickens of a time preventing it if you get another puppy. It's rather persistant so even if this pup becomes resistant to it, it will live in the soil for years. The best bet is to ask if it's been ruled out.

If the condition has survived the medication, you really need to get the pup to the vet. A computer forum like this one probably won't solve the problem. It may not be an emergency but it is rather urgent if nothing else than for your peace of mind.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by weasle View Post
    My new puppy is 3.5 months old and he seems to have some sort of problem with his poop. About three weeks ago we noticed he had green and runnier poop than normal. He got to the point that it seemed like he could not hold it or control it. he started going in the house which he had never done before. I took a stool sample to the vet and he tested it for cocliosis and said it was negative. He went ahead and gave him two different meds, one for the diaherea, and one for a bacteria that he said it could possibly be. After about four to five days it cleared up and got back to normal, but now a week after the meds are done it has returned. I am going to take him back to the vet, but was hoping someone on here could give me some ideas on what I could do if anything to help him. He does not seem to be feeling bad or anything besides the diaherea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just another thing is that at times the dog is in a fenced in area that is grass, and I didn't know if the grass could be doing it if he is eating it? He is not throwing up or anything else either. Thanks Weasle

IF the little one has coccidia(sp?), my vet told me to be sure and walk him in another area of the yard while the meds worked their magic cause they can pick the bug back up walking in the infected/affected area. If the area includes concrete or a hard surface to also wash the area down well after the little one has relieved him/her self. I am no vet so take this for what it is worth, good luck at getting to the bottom of this.

My pup is the same age was haveing stool problems was feeding purina I then switched to Blue Buffalo puppy food cleared right up I don't know if it was the food but she is doing fine now.The food is expensive.

My dog had similar problems. 2 different spouts of diarehha, went in kennel each time which he never does. Vet gave us Rx dog food call ID and reglan (to have regualte bowls). Cleared up and turds were good. We eased him back to his Blue bufflao and stools were ok but not exactly hard and frim. Second spout happens, vet give us more food and says its probably not her dog food like I suspected. This time I eased him back to a taste of wild puppy food and his turds couldn't be better. Other than occasional diarehha (1 every 4-5 weeks) my dog had no other problems but I think it was his food that was causing this.