RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lab not eating and having swelling and spasms in her head...advice please!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeannie Greenlee 
#1 ·
Hello, I am needing some advice until I get my dog seen in the morning. I took her to the vet today but she is not getting any better. She is a 5 year old lab and a couple of days ago she started acting lethargic and just not herself. Yesterday she just wanted to lay down and not move alot. She is not eating either. I took her to the vet today and checked her out and saw she had some swelling and tremors/spasms on the top of her head. The vet thought that may have been from an injury we didn't know about or something. She got antibiotics for her to reduce swelling and pain pills. My dog has gotten no better and I will be taking her at 7:30...that is the earliest I can get her there. Any advice on what questions to ask the vet or what these symptoms can be caused from.

Thanks so much...very concerned as she is usually an energetic fun loving dog who eats anything.

#3 ·
You might check out your dog for a spider bite. They are very hard to find so you will have look closely. Look for small red bump or spot. I had a similar problem with one of my labs a few years back. She got bit on the side of her chest. Same no appetite, lethargic. Took about four days for the bite to fester enough to show up on the dog. Hope it turns out well for her.

#6 ·
Spider bite or mushrooms. Seriously. Had a dog get eat some from my lawn... spasms, foaming at mouth, etc. Took to vet, pumped stomach and gave IV, was good as new in 24 hrs
Same thing happened to a buddy... but he didn't figure it out until a day later, vet put his dog on IV for 24hrs, was back to normal in a couple of days.

#7 ·
I just talked to someone yesterday that has a dog that had an autoimmune disorder that had the same symptoms you describe. The dog got better but lost all the muscle mass in the head and it never came back. Now, these are pet dog people and they don't tend to go to the extents we do when treating a sick/recovering dog all of the time so I don't know if the muscle mass could have been brought back with some kind of therapy and they didn't know about it or just didn't do it. They say the dog is happy and healthy now though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.