The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa FT

47 degrees and light rain....Brrrrrr, February in May

In answer to Tom: You read what you wanted to into what I said. I never accused or made disparaging remarks about these judges. In fact, I said the setup sounded good and doable but that the terrain may have gone against the grain of the test. 65% drop in 1st series seemed excessive and in fact I have had several private messages stating what I said had merit. It is very difficult to set up a test in a given terrain and be able to predict how many dogs can handle it. The latter part of my discussion was about tests in general and did not refer to this particular test. That part probably should have been done in a separate thread so that some people like you wouldn't get too confused, but instead, try to read how it was intended. I simply voiced some concerns publicly, knowing full well there would be someone just reading words without the ability to understand them. You didn't disappoint me.

To Ted: I may have written the part about my dog badly. What I meant to say is that whenever he was dropped, he deserved it so that he has in my opinion always been handled fairly by the judges except possibly just once and I would say that is pretty darn good odds for over 5 years of running trials. Also Ted, I think by now I know your ethics and your motivations are of the highest in this game. I know most judges don't have the time or the motivation to manipulate tests, but I also realize that to "increase the odds", it can and has been done to a certain degree. Unfortunately, the realization that has been brought forth time and time again on this forum is that only a few are welcome to discuss their concerns, ideas, and opinions. I keep forgetting the rest of us should just keep quiet, read and agree with what has been said.

Arleen

Whats the Am looking like

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers Mom View Post
    I agree....... but, when the field consists of 57 dogs (don't know if there were any scratches) and 37 of those don't make it to the second series (only 20 did), that's a 65% drop in the field in the 1st series. 57 dogs is not an exceptionally large field to have to whittle down either. The description given here of the setup sounded good and doable but maybe the terrain with the bowls and washouts was the problem so that setup was not practical here. I don't know. It is just that trials are getting increasingly more difficult and complex and it worries me that this will become a turnoff for the younger and newer players in the game who probably won't have the financial ability or desire to continually get scrubbed in the first series. Another concern that I hesitantly add is that judges judging the Open have been around awhile and know both the game and dogs well. They know a lot of the dogs strengths and weaknesses so therefore it wouldn't be too difficult to manipulate the test in the favor of certain dogs. I don't like to think that would consciously happen, but stranger things have been known to happen from time to time. I'm an idealist and I would like to think that everyone sets up their tests with all dogs in mind. I also realize that some tests occasionally have to be scrubbed because of totally unforseen difficulties with the layout in that it didn't turn out to be as doable as originally thought or there were dangerous aspects involved. I've heard these concerns voiced but people are afraid to speak up for fear their dog will not get a fair shake. I speak what concerns me and always have and to date, my dog has always gone out when he was supposed to have except possibly maybe once.

Arleen
    Arleen...given you have a good dog, it still may be several years before your dog can consistently do the 1st series in an all-age-stake that typically the hardest series, unlike derbies. There are many factors that can make a good dog fail...most common is the draw. If your dog runs when condition are less ideal to other times of the day, and dogs are having difficulty...your dog is most likely going to fail it too. When I first started playing this game I would book my hotel room in advance. I don't do that anymore until my dog gets through the first series. Usually there are plently rooms by then.

Open Results:
    1st Deets Youngblood/ Dave Rorem
    2nd Henry Starford/ Tim Milligan
    3rd Tubby Aycock/ Ed
    4th Onyx Scheig/ Chris
    RJ Breeze Burson/ Mark Edwards
    Jams 3 16 43

A big congratulations to all !
    Thanks to the judges for giving us a
    challenging and very fair 4 series.
    Tulsa club members work very hard to put this
    on and do a great job!
    Last edited by jollydog; 05-04-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

yay- good for amateurs Ed and Chris!! and Lauren and Sylvia too for finishing a tough open-- and congrats as well to Dave, Tim and Mark!

Amateur callbacks:
    2 3 5 6 8 10 12 16 19 24 26 28 29 33 36
    38 39 40 43 44 48 54 55
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jollydog View Post
    Amateur callbacks:
    2 3 5 6 8 10 12 16 19 24 26 28 29 33 36
    38 39 40 43 44 48 54 55
    Now that's a who's who of Field Trials. Which series are these callbacks?
    Marty Fluke Houston, TX
    Fluke's Little Buddy SH ***
    Triple J's Hot Habanera ***

23 pickups? That is absolutely ridiculous.
    Really nice test, I wish we could have done it.

To Ted: I may have written the part about my dog badly. What I meant to say is that whenever he was dropped, he deserved it so that he has in my opinion always been handled fairly by the judges except possibly just once and I would say that is pretty darn good odds for over 5 years of running trials. Also Ted, I think by now I know your ethics and your motivations are of the highest in this game. I know most judges don't have the time or the motivation to manipulate tests, but I also realize that to "increase the odds", it can and has been done to a certain degree. Unfortunately, the realization that has been brought forth time and time again on this forum is that only a few are welcome to discuss their concerns, ideas, and opinions. I keep forgetting the rest of us should just keep quiet, read and agree with what has been said.

Arleen

Arleen

First, I was not aware that my disagreement with your opinions meant that your opinions were not "welcome."

Second, if I were seeking to ensure that my "chosen dog or handler" won, the last thing that I would do is set up a ball buster test with a failure rate of over 50%. That kind of test - if continued through the trial - leads to a very clear winner. Instead, if I were trying to "fix" the results, I would set up a very easy test, that I knew my "chosen dog or handler" would accomplish. I would continue with soft tests, and at the end, there would be 15 winners, of which I could select my "chosen dog or handler." It is much easier to "fix" the results in a soft trial than a hard one. So, again, I disagree with your basic assumptions about what can and cannot be done.

Third, as both a contestant and a judge, I prefer hard, ball buster style tests. It is what I like to run, and what I like to watch. That is simply a statement of taste.

Finally, I would say that many of the contestants that have posted here, have told us that they thought that the test was both fun and fair.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com